CHAPTER V

– M A K A Y L A –

I lead my guards all the way out to Sector 10. This was as far as they would allow me inside the "safe" regions of the city.

With a few persuading words that only the best ball gowns could be found here, they followed with grumbling acceptance. I would have one chance to lose them. To finally explore the real city of Merridian...

It didn't happen like I planned.

When I finally slipped away through a double sided store, I collided into the most terrifying individual I had ever seen. In fact, I actually slammed into her as I dodged a nearby couple.

A crimson hood covered her head and her cloak folded around the rest of her like a raging flame. The inside of it was all black, shadowing most of her face expect for a startling pair of golden irises. She was so alien, so dark, I knew—despite the expensive clothing—she did not belong here.

I made to run, to get far away from the hellish creature, but two pairs of gloved hands seized me like a vice. Only now did I realise she had guards the size of trees around her.

A shout from one of my personal guards down the street made my heart start crashing. I whirled back to face the terrifying stranger. Maybe she had some mercy within those burning eyes.

"Please." I begged.

I never begged anyone, not even my father...

I don't know what she saw on my face as those amber orbs looked down at my desperate ones. Maybe she felt pity or maybe she simply hated imperial guards, but for whatever reason she snapped her gloved fingers and I was released instantly.

I was so shocked that I actually stood there like a fool before shaking my head briefly to check if reality was still happening.

"Go." She barked at me in a voice as sharp as a blade. "Before I change my mind."

I didn't need a second hint. I bolted back into the crowds before my guards could get to me. I dashed sharply down a thin side street to throw them off further and continued my escape with complete disbelief.

It appears that monsters have hearts...

* * * * *

When I had finally crossed the heavily armed threshold from Sector 10 into Sector 11 I exhaled long and loud. I had done it.

A laugh left my lips as I grinned at my surroundings. To be honest it wasn't much different from Sector 10. The buildings were still colossal and shining, the fusion crafts still zoomed in-between the sky. But I knew I just had to go further... delve deeper into the outskirts to see Merridian's true form.

After hours more of walking through the bustling streets of sectors 13 and 14 I decided to hop into a fairly reasonable looking taxi craft. The plump driver turned in his seat and gave me a bored look.

"Where tu' babe?" His accent and word choice completely threw me for a moment. I had to mentally slap myself to stop from grinning at the alien way he spoke.

"Where's the best place to get a drink with no questions asked?" I said smirking at him.

He raised his eyebrows in surprise before looking at me a bit more closely. Then he shrugged and turned towards the front again.

"That'd be Kuzo's in Sector 48 if I'm choosin'."He said with a throaty chuckle. "That place'd serve a newborn n' not giva flyin toss."

I grinned from ear to ear completely ecstatic to visit such an establishment. Oh god, I even think upper class...

"Sounds cool." I responded as nonchalantly as I could.

He smirked in his mirror at me, clearly not buying an ounce of my bullshit but he seemed happy to get a good paying fare. Evening had started to descend and I took in every building we passed. As the sectors flew by, so did the investment and maintenance of the buildings. Soon we were surrounded by smog and neon lights flashing clubs, bars and more unsavoury places.

It was amazing.

They all seemed to be stacked on top of each other like a colourful house of cards. No perfection, no mathematical precision, just structures haphazardly filling spaces. Even the people were different. Clothing choices were practical or baggy with neutral, non loud colours. A lot of people looked like they were hiding things beneath coats and hoods but I couldn't imagine what.

Then we arrived at Kuzo's...

"This is it luv." My driver grunted as he swerved around to face me. I looked across the street towards the bar. Despite the location, it was giant. It had three different entrances and patrons piling in and out with odd looking drinks in grasp. The building was glowing with neon blues and purples at every angle.

"You meetin' someone inside or somethin?" He questioned with a skeptical expression.

"Er, no just me." I said awkwardly as I retrieved my currency card. I hovered it over his contactless payment bar and made for the door.

"Probably best to get som friends. You dun wanna be caught around ere by yourself ya know?" He said with concern.

I smiled at him. "Thank you. I'll be sure to make a few." I said, opening the door.

He nodded me off and flew away the moment I stepped out the craft, as if he was keen to get away...

I shook my head and turned to face the bar known as Kuzo's.