CHAPTER XLII

- M A K A Y L A -

"Can I ask you a question?"

Proximo's eyes rapidly scanned the crowds as we walked among the dwellers of 45. His long black trench coat with a red arm seemed to speak its own volumes—if the savage tattoos down one side of his face didn't already...

He didn't break his stride as he responded. "Was that not in itself a question?" He said flatly glancing down at me.

I balked a little. Better get to the point, he likes points... and blades—

"Scorpion told me some of the past, about how she rose to her position. To run the Underworld." His face remained impassive as if we were discussing the rain. "She briefly mentioned how you two met..." I ventured, but it was enough. The same knowing smile briefly rested on his features as he turned us down another busy road.

It was at that point I noticed no personal guard shadowed us. I supposed Proximo was the whole damn guard.

"Yes we had a memorable introduction." He cocked an eyebrow at me, it raised some dark ink with the move. "I suppose you'd like the rest of that story?"

"If you don't mind telling it of course." I said quickly and averted my eyes ahead.

I still saw the grin. "She probably mentioned my previous employer?"

I dropped him a nod.

He grunted and readjusted the folds of his long coat, no doubt and the many weapons beneath it.
"Lazuras was my ticket in, moron or not he had the title. Once I became noteworthy and he became nothing more than a puddle on the floor I sought out Scorpion." A few bystanders recognised Proximo and scattered like insects. I was glad I chose to leave Alex's cloak behind... "What I didn't account for was how desperate her second in command was at the time. When I dispatched her personal guard, we were to engage in single combat. A test of many ways in character rather than strength..." his eyes grew thoughtful as he slowed his long stride through the streets. He cut us left and led us into quieter side streets as he continued.

"Scorpion saw my ability hand to hand. She now wanted to see it with a weapon. When she drew her dagger she had no idea her second had poisoned the blades when she engaged. We traded blows until eventually the poison entered me and I could hardly stand." My mouth was wide as he retold it, I could hardly imagine the duel between them. He smirked down at me.

"She instantly realised. She didn't even hesitate when she saw my swaying. She drew her own blade and ran it along her hand." He chuckled darkly. "It was fast acting stuff but I had never guessed she would even the odds like that. Take the insecurity of one of her own and wear it as an equal. The fight did not last long as you can imagine. The poison was killing us, but she only called for the antidote when both of us dropped to our knees. I've never looked back since then, never considered outside allegiances or bribes. I know where Scorpion and I stand." He said in finality with hard respect in those steel coloured eyes.

It took me a moment to turn my dazed gaze back towards him. He watched me with calculated calm awaiting a response. So I let out a breath and shook my head.
"In a way I'm not surprised. She can't stand lies." I said as we walked. I saw him nodded slightly in the side of my vision.

"Her second received swift retribution. She let me swing the sword."

"And you've been her second for how many years?"