CHAPTER L

–  E M P E R O R   X A V I E R  –

I grasped the lapels of my noir overcoat like they were a writhing fish. It was not the only thing I wanted to choke the life out of.

Hades stood before me on the sky bridge between two of Sector 1's glass towers. Guards lined at a safe and spread distance to the edges and on both sides. Those utterly ridiculous purple eyes staring at me with the same hunger that he thought he concealed like a seasoned politician.

I laughed briefly over the wind at the idea. His expression soured not dim enough to read the mood.

"I almost had Scorpion–"

"Almost is a curious word." I interrupted, keeping the venom lurking near my tone. "It does no notion of benefiting the outcome or placating the one stood before you. So, would you be so kind as to shut the air leaving your throat?" I asked calmly.

When he merely watched me with that false calm, I continued. I placed my hands behind my back and stood precariously close to the edge of the bridge. The height was enough. Enough that the canals below the sky towers would not break your fall–it would break your bones.

"Makayla Xavier is now in my Sky tower. Home." I uttered the word with humour. "Because you failed to remove her, because I still maintain to have a false heir under my roof, because... Hades. I now must deal with this within Sector 1. You had more than enough resources, I even dropped her into your lap. My placements of her within reach of the Underworld's pathetic ruler..." I pinched a black glove to my brow and took a breath. "–you think it did not become clear to me you had other aspirations?" I turned to him now and his body was locked in anticipation.

"You think I do not run this world of mine without reason?" I cut in a low tone just carrying on the wind between us as I turned from the edge of the bridge. "My eyes have no end to their reach. Your deal with the Underworld's leader–"

"No such thing–"

I flicked a hand up and my guard moved faster than his head could turn. They ripped the hood away and kicked out his legs at breakable angles until he collapsed to his knees. But my hand was still raised. They threw sharp knees into his chest and snapped his head back with armoured hands. Only when enough crimson reached his chin–only when I deemed the pain to be enough did I lower my hand. My guards froze immediately and held him in his crumpled knees.

I looked at him with as much interest as I would pass over my morning coffee.

"Your deal with the Underworld's leader will continue." His head moved up at me–at my words but I continued. "Contact Scorpion now." I told him slowly. "Your words will be specific. You have come across information that suggests an ambush awaits Division 52 in the lobby, you will give her my inside man as verification she can believe your words." I moved quickly and grasped his bloody chin. "Pay attention now, Hades. Let's not get lost before you serve your purpose." I growled down at him as his eyes remained trained on my own. "Diego Jacua is an imperial mole. You have found yourself a weak entry point to my tower. You pass through an underground fusion carrier network below my tower to gain entry. I have uploaded the blueprints to your comm." I paused making sure his eyes took on that glow of ambition–of a chance. I hid my smile well.

"Make the call." I told him.

He shifted slightly under the heavy arms of my guard and I dropped them nods. They stood back allowing him inches to move freely.

He pressed his temple and his eyes went flat with their task. He then accelerated his breaths dramatically before the Underworld's leader answered.

"Sc–Scorpion." He panted, "–no this is important. Your guard. One of your guard is a mole. He was placed there, Imperial–" he heaved another breath and I allowed a nod in his direction. Believable. Ideal. "Because I have the evidence from the rat myself. Diego Jacua. I am uploading blueprints of a hidden access point in his tower myself. Only his personal guard–his close advisors have this kind of– yes." He paused and his eyes found mine. It told me enough. The bait had done its job.

I cut a finger across my throat effectively telling him his job was done. Sometimes in order to win the game you needed to sacrifice a piece. Diego had done his job well.

"–I will explain all meet me at Karbello Road at 8pm." He finished in a rush, ending the comm.

I watched him as his bloody face met mine with indignant but accepting loss. I clapped slowly, my gloves slick with his blood.

"Oh, Hades. Hades your reputation truly proceeds you." I told him slowly with a lethal joy. "As does your utter stupidity." I snapped my fingers once more. There would be no meeting at 8pm. No alliances, no loose ends.

Guards swarmed him in heavy number and restrained him. His head whipped around in brief confusion. "What are–you need me. I am your only inside man now–"

I laughed louder, shaking my head and calming my jacket once more. "Dear boy, as wrong as you are, you also do not realise I will no longer need inside men when she follows those blueprints." I turned my back on him and strode towards the other side of the sky bridge ready to put all of this to its end.

I heard shouts, demands... it was almost pathetic.

I tipped a finger and a nearby guard moved to my side as I strode towards the glass tower on the other side. "Remove the spare."

A helmet nodded and a message relayed.

The faint buzz of a suppressed fusion round hummed briefly. By the time I reached the other side and turned to descend in the lift. The body of a nobody was being dragged away in the opposite direction. A smile crossed me.