CHAPTER XXVI

– M A K A Y L A –

I didn't take my eyes off of Proximo's hooded figure as we made our way down to the "training facility".

I had no idea how large Alex's building was, but it's look was deceptive from the outside to say the least. The lift that had once taken me to the roof all those weeks ago, now descended to an unknown floor. No numbers gave me any clues. Only a holoscreen granted the user access.

But Alex wouldn't be here for this. Of course now she had the pressing matter of keeping Hades in sight, as well as my father... She'll need all the time and resources she can get. But at least I was making use of myself instead of hovering uselessly around all day. I was done with that life.

We came to a standstill.

The clouded glass slid soundlessly open and revealed a black hallway with a curious amount of neon blue lights travelling from the floor to ceiling. They were like computerised vines but in perfect symmetry.

"This way." Proximo cut through the silence.

He drew back his hood as he walked and started typing into his holoscreen. Moments later the door ahead of us hissed open and the sounds of life hit me again. Grunts, panting, clangs of metal against metal and scuffling of bodies falling or rising filled the air.

We stepped out onto a balcony with two staircases spiralling down on each side. I held my breath as I saw all of them. Men, women, possibly even kids as young as thirteen were all using the cavernous space below to learn the art of becoming a weapon.

It was sort of wonderful. In a dangerous and exciting kind of way...

I caught Proximo's sharp eyes watching, judging my face for any sign of hesitance or doubt. I levelled my own eyes unflinchingly back at his.

"So, are we going to stand here all day?" I asked sweetly.

He said nothing. Then he turned swiftly and began to descend the stairs. I hurried after him. His silence concerned me because I was sure this was supposed to be the part when the trainer starts giving the student some kind of list of what to expect.

We reached ground level and walked past rows of people fighting hand-to-hand, with swords, daggers and even hand held weapons I couldn't name or fathom. Proximo didn't even regard any of it. But he did arrive at a space much larger than the other training sections. Each has those neon blue lights indicating the area space. I would watch them turn red suddenly when someone lost their fight or exercise.

Two people were already using this space, but the moment they caught sight of Proximo's towering form, they evaporated from the area in seconds. He stepped up to the slightly raised surface and shrugged off his cloak. It revealed the muscular form I already assumed was there. Every inch of him was weaponised for war and worse. The scars weren't even the half of it.

I was still staring at him when he turned to look down at me.

He flicked his chin over to the space in front of him. Then let a taunting smile appear. I hopped up onto the platform and walked cautiously towards him. My tissue may have repaired over the past week but I wasn't suicidal. The man was intimidation incarnate. The only other person more intimidating was--

He dipped low to the ground and swept a leg out under my feet faster than I thought was possible. I crashed to the floor and looked up at the ceiling in shock. For a start, that didn't hurt as much as I thought (must be this floor) and secondly...

"What the hell was that?!" I asked incredulously.

His tattooed head appeared above me. "That was you, Miss Xavier, having as much focus and discipline as a three year old." He stated calmly. I huffed out in shock. So few have ever spoken so bluntly.

"Are you not supposed to teach me before you attack me?" I muttered, getting to my feet.

He turned away from me quickly and returned to the other side of the mat.

"Lesson one, Makayla!" He called out and let a savage grin grace his warrior features.

"You learn on the job."

* * * * *

Everywhere hurt.

I didn't even know I owned certain muscles and they hurt. Proximo did not know the definition of a beginner. Every time I even hinted at my disadvantage he would tell me that excuses are wasting my oxygen supply, or I should be using my weaknesses to my advantage.

Whatever the hell that meant. The man was clearly insane. Possibly an incredible human being, but... mainly insane.

When I finally rose from the bath I had submerged myself in it was beginning to get dark. I threw on a comfortable pair of cotton shorts and one of Alex's t-shirts. I groaned in delight when I finally sank into her perfect bed. Somehow, it was better than anything in Sector 1. Just the right amount of softness but not suffocatingly so--and of course it had her unmistakable scent that was finer than perfume to me.

I was drifting towards unconsciousness when I heard the door open and shut quietly. Then a soft chuckle followed in the darkness.

"Don't even say it." I groaned into the pillow.

Her footsteps got closer. "Enjoyed your time with my second did you?" She asked, dripping with humour.

"Your second isn't human." I retorted and finally rolled over to face her.

Every time I met those golden irises I became numb. Her cloak wasn't on as usual but thrown over a chair near the bed. Her long dark hair was slightly more chaotic than usual but to be honest she was still a goddess.

She shook her head slowly as she beheld me wrapped in sheets and gazing sleepily upwards.

"Makayla Xavier almost speechless... there's a first."

"I don't think it counts if I'm half unconscious." I grumbled.

She smirked at me before kicking her shoes off and strolling over to her walk-in closet. When she returned she was in an incredibly comfortable looking pair of sweats and a t-shirt.

I couldn't help the laugh that escaped me at the sight.

"Criminal overlord, Scorpion, most wanted woman in Merridian... and she does do casual." I mused between laughter.

"Emperor's daughter, Division 52 captive and presumed dead heir to the city... and she doesn't do the gym." Alex retorted without missing a beat.

I threw a pillow at her.

She laughed softly. Then climbed in next to me. I naturally found myself closing the space and needing to be near her again. The past week has been nothing short of busy on all sides. Our time has been far too limited.

Her arms encircled me and pulled me closer to her. I rested my head in the crook of her neck and exhaled slowly.

"Makayla?" Alex whispered.

"Hmm?" I mumbled against her skin. I was so close to the land of dreams and my body was entirely done with today's events.

"Tomorrow you are skipping training."

"Why?" I barely got out.

"Because you will be spending it with me. I never did to show you that there are some places worth seeing in the outer sectors." She finished with a chuckle.

"Sounds perftt..." I mumbled unintelligible against her neck. But I still felt the shiver pass briefly from the action and couldn't help but smile.

She kissed the top of my head and settled further into the bed with me entirely at peace settled in her hold.

I don't think I would ever tire of that.