CHAPTER XL

– S C O R P I O N –

I didn't show it, but Kuzo was on my nerves already. His more than obvious glances at Makayla and then the bio scan of her...

I should have just let Proximo detonate that neural EMP and fried his request. Would have left quite the sting.

I stretched back into the chair and let my arm fall behind Makayla once more—who paid us no mind and started reassembling a plasma gun. I smirked.

"As much as it is a pleasure, Kuzo... I must admit I'm not here on business terms and have no intention of turning the night towards it."

He cleared his throat curtly getting the message.

"If you need anything..." he trailed off pointedly but I waved him off.

"Just your good hospitality."

At that he dropped me a nod and hurried to collect himself before swiftly making an exit from the Noir lounge.

I heard a snicker to my left.

My eyes caught a pair of light blue illuminated by the lighting below dancing with light.

"Yes, Makayla." I leaned in growling the last part in jest.

She flinched back and flicked my nose. "You promised no business tonight."

"That was me keeping my promise." I told her with a raised brow then threw my arm towards the curtained door Kuzo had swiftly left. "Was his leave too subtle? I could make him do it again—"

She grinned and interrupted me with a slow kiss. The heat clawed up me as I told myself to remain reserved and not escalate it.

When I felt her hand trail up my thigh Proximo cleared his throat. She drew back just as quickly and I threw a glare at him over her shoulder.

He winked before Makayla turned to face him.

"This is good." She perked up. "—if your idea is to melt the poor soul that intends to shoot it." He deadpanned without a smile.

I laughed loudly with my head back while Makayla deflated into the chair with a sulk. But I was cut short when she tore those cutely pissed off eyes to me.

I felt metal thrown into my lap and was still laughing when I looked down at the plasma gun. My eyes even saw the errors of assembly through the laughs.
"Proximo I disagree." He cut me a raised brow, and crossed his arms. His face said this should be good.
"Makayla's plot is clearly more deceiving and malicious. She wishes to give the enemy a chance to take back the weapon thinking they have the upper hand, only to be obliterated by the terrible, terrible assembly of such a weapon."

I felt the slap on my arm which only made me laugh more.
"You think it's so funny? You try taking that apart and putting it back together in the dark—"

Before she finished her sentence I had the hammer off and the energy magazine discarded. I felt Proximo watching me with a grin like his favourite show. I didn't hesitate with the tool under my fingers, it's smooth metal and combustible components all too familiar to me.