CHAPTER XLVII

– S C O R P I O N –

I didn't hesitate to pull Makayla forward and secure her lips firmly with my own. Her warmth seeped into my skin like honey and it took everything I had to break us apart just as quickly. The way she had dropped into this mess after unconsciousness and taken such quick action...

This woman had my heart and now my back. I could trust her just as I could when I walked over to the fallen fusion gun and set it in her arms. Her visor was still in tact and glowing blue–illuminating her already crystal clear eyes. Mine had no such luck as I had twisted us around before impact onto the roof and took the metal first.

Our speed had almost hit the sound barrier as we crashed through the skyline. The handful of imperial guards that investigated did not last long. But they would not be the last either.

When I finally turned away from her to start my climb I cast my gaze back as the golden-haired goddess dropped to a knee and levelled the gun at the rooftop entrance. A small smile cut my lips before I activated the mag gloves and began ascending up the sheer glass and metal wall.

The winds were raging with the rain at this height and each gust was a cold slap to the face. I blinked away the water that blurred my vision. My braided hair whipped back sharply and sent loose wet strands across my face. But I maintained my climb.

"Scorpion, we have planted three jammers successfully. How close are you?" Proximo's deep timbre came into my ear.

I palmed another hand up and heard the warped sound of the magnet latch on. Then exhaled evenly.

"Moving up the face to plant as we speak." I huffed out in response.

"Did you have any issues with the emergency landing?" He inquired.

"A small–" another exhale, "–greeting party." My left hand yanked me upwards. "It was considerate of them."

Proximo chuckled over the winds. "As fun as that sounds we will have their attention now guards have gone dark." He ventured warily.

"Makayla can keep them busy for now." I retorted as I swung myself up faster.

"I must agree. I trained her like I would train myself."

"Which is why–" Inhale, lift. "–I am not concerned. Let me comm you when I have planted the jammer." I finished in another breath.

"Very well." He ended the comm.

When my next glove placed me just a few feet away from the lip of the target enclave for the jammer I heard fusion rounds fire off. My head whipped back down in her direction and the momentum took my left glove with it.

I crashed into the side of the building with only one hand secured to its side.

"Fuck!" I growled. I swung myself to secure both hands to the same point. Then took a deep breath. I looked down. At least 20 floors high from the rooftop Makayla was. My boot thrusters were good but not that good.

I glared back up at the remaining few feet. Finish the job. Finish the damn job and shut off his satellite network. I heard more gunfire now and had to move. I kicked my boots against the glass and fired the thrusters. In the next blink I deactivated my remaining mag glove and was propelled upwards the remaining distance.

I crashed onto the upper lip and rolled into a crouch.

The jammer was off my back in the next second and planted between the network of metal bars and cables that made up the buildings' signal receiver. When I smashed the side button and flicked up the metal rod I waited only to see one green light blink before I turned back to the edge.