Thing About Luck

It was past 2 am now and Dennise has yet to hear the sound of a car stopping at their dorm’s front door. Ella and the others insisted that she should get some sleep, as Alyssa, their team captain is perfectly capable of handling herself. Dennise had insisted otherwise.

She was getting worried of the fact that Alyssa is still nowhere to be found. It wasn’t like the girl to be out this late. The latter one mentioned an upcoming exam on her psychology subject that’s why it puzzled her why Ly would choose this night to get wasted. It was a Monday night for pete’s sake. Never in their years of knowing each other had she seen Alyssa acting so irresponsible.

You're just worried about her. Her mind insisted. Yes, she's worried but it's more than just that.

True, she might have an idea but she brushes off the thought as quickly as it came. It couldn’t possibly be the reason. She’s not that numb but she doesn’t want anything to do with these feelings whenever the other girl is near her. She's not going to entertain the thought of her feeling the same way. Alyssa is too much now as it is.

Alyssa Valdez definitely knows how to mess with the butterflies in her stomach whenever she smiles. The way that those dimples deepen on the corners of her mouth and how those eyes will smile along with her lips. Dennise doesn't know how to deal with her. Or more specifically her heart.

Before these thoughts drown her, Dennise heard a car honking and she immediately went to open the door. She finds a very drunk Alyssa in the arms of a Bang Pineda. Seeing Alyssa batshit drunk was enough to set her off but seeing Alyssa in the arms of another person is another story.

“Yo, Lazaro. Pasensya na at late si Aly. Di namin namalayan ang oras. Anyway, she’s yours.”

Alyssa is anything but hers. Dennise admitted to herself.

She muttered a half-assed thank you to the other girl and she in turn gave her an apologetic look.

Dennise was—is jealous. What pushed Alyssa to drink without her or Ella?!

She laid her on the couch and was about to fetch her a glass of water when Alyssa held her hand.

“Denden… stay please” Alyssa murmured with her eyes still closed.

Dennise was beyond furious but hearing Alyssa mentioning her nickname made her calm down. She swears there’s a hidden spell at the way Ly mentions her nickname that has the effect of reeling her in. She sighed and knelt in front of the couch so that they could be eye level. She smoothed the hair scattered on Ly’s face and tucks it in her ears.

“I’m not going anywhere, Ly.” She whispered. Alyssa took the hand caressing her face and intertwines it with hers. Her bloodshot eyes fluttering open to stare at the blue eyed beauty in front of her.

“I don’t want to lose you, Den” She said while staring at her eyes.

Dennise let out an awkward chuckle and proceeded to help Alyssa up on her feet. They have to talk this out  once the other girl is sober. Alyssa is not the type to turn to alcohol when things go bad. Alyssa would usually turn to her or Ella or kill herself with volleyball practice. Not getting drunk, which made her question the issue at hand.

“Of course you don’t want to lose me, silly. I’m your best friend. Stop talking nonsense, Valdez. Galit pa rin ako sa’yo!” Den said as she was kicking the door of their room open. She laid the taller one on their bed.

“You always say na I shouldn't drink without kasama pero you come home batshit drunk and hindi makatayo.” Patuloy na sermon nito. Alyssa just pouted and giggled. Conyo Dennise is her favorite Dennise.