My Kind of Blue

Dennise tried to focus on the medical books that are on her study table. She has an exam on her biology class tomorrow and it was past 2 am already, her head is swimming with medical terms. Alyssa is on a separate study table doing her share of paperwork. They’ve hit their schoolwork right after practice and they both deserve that rest right about now. Dennise thinks it’s pointless to push herself to study when nothing is getting in her brain.

“Ly, are you done?” She asked and Alyssa raised her head from the laptop.

“Yup” Alyssa replied, popping the ‘p’ sound. “You?” Den shook her head as an answer.

Dennise headed over to Alyssa’s work desk and sat on the other’s lap and curled into her chest. Alyssa relaxed on the chair when Den rested her face near the crook of her neck. Alyssa finds herself running her fingers through Den’s hair, making the other murmur sleepily.

“Ly, kanta ka please”

Alyssa just smiled. Dennise is just too adorable to say no to. She’s used to Den being this clingy and she wouldn't have it any other way. Besides, it was the fastest way for the other girl to fall asleep. Alyssa made it a point to be her teddy bear or pillow. Whatever the smaller one needs.

“I don’t sing that well, Den. Alam mo ‘yan” Natatawa nitong sabi.

“Ngayon lang, Ly. Please” Dennise looked up and gave her puppy dog eyes, giving Alyssa no choice but to say yes.

“Okay. Anong kanta ba ang gusto mo?”

“Any song that reminds you of me”

Dennise answered while looking straight into her eyes. Blue eyes against the light of a study lamp made Alyssa think of the perfect song for Den.

“Just promise me you won’t record this. Nakakahiya sa fans” Den nodded against her.

I don’t ever want to share you with anyone.

The other girl thought as a response but said nothing.

Words are better left unspoken between them.

“My eyes are no good, blind without her
The way she moves, I never doubt her
When she talks, she somehow creeps into my dreams
She's a doll, a catch, a winner
I'm in love and no beginner
Could ever grasp or understand just what she means"

Dennise hid a smile a she hears Alyssa start a A Rocket to the Moon song entitled Baby Blue Eyes. She likes it when the girl sings. It’s not the most melodious voice you’ll hear nor is it close to the original score of the music but it’s perfection in Den’s ears. Alyssa’s voice is perfection to her. She just had it that bad. This like or love bullshit. She's not sure about what she's feeling yet but the feeling is definitely there.

“Baby, baby blue eyes
Stay with me by my side
'Til the mornin', through the night
Well baby
Stand here, holdin' my sides
Close your baby blue eyes
Every moment feels right
And I may feel like a fool
But I'm the only one, dancin' with you”

Alyssa smiles when she hears Den’s peaceful snoring.

“Good night, my baby blue eyes”

Alyssa whispered and gave the girl a kiss on the forehead before closing her own eyes.

~*~

Alyssa

“Okay, pots. What's up?” I looked at Ella who’s constantly pacing back and forth in front of me. Honestly, nakaliliyo na.