Waiting

It has been a week since Alyssa's confession and the misunderstanding between the two. Alyssa has been ignoring or more like avoiding Dennise the whole time. Dennise doesn't know how the younger girl did it but Alyssa barely spend time inside their room. She would always be out early for a morning run and won't be back until Dennise is out for school. Same goes with the evening, after practice Alyssa goes somewhere to eat and won't be back till late in the evening. The only time Dennise gets to see Alyssa is in practice and at that Alyssa wouldn't even spare a glance at her. So much for being in love with her huh?

Ella told her to be patient and give Alyssa some time to cool down. Dennise tried to get hold of her but the younger girl would always come up with some shitty reason just not to talk to her. Dennise is not big on the virtue of patience. Her patience is wearing thin, there's hardly any but she doesn't want it to blow up into something big. They couldn't have a fight now with the upcoming game this weekend.

They were the defending champions, their aim is back to back. They have much more to lose now than last year. They couldn't afford distractions. They resorted to completely ignoring each other's existence on and off court. It's been working so far until Alyssa decided to be an asshole and took over Dennise's receiving duties on court.

"Mine!" Alyssa and Dennise both shouted and headed straight for the ball, resulting in a collision. It wasn't that bad but it was enough to set her off.

"What is your problem?!" Dennise yelled agitated at Alyssa.

Dennise tried. Dennise tries. Dennise is trying. Dennise could only try  so much before she blows up from frustration with their team captain.

"No. What is your problem? I shouted 'mine' before getting it" Alyssa shot back.

"I'm a Libero, Ly! That's my job! You're a freaking spiker!" Dennise was fuming at Alyssa.

"I just tried to save the ball. What the fuck is wrong with that?" Alyssa replied coldly now, irritating the smaller girl more.

Dennise, never in her life had she been frustrated towards the taller girl well because they just work so well together and now she's getting a strong urge to punch Alyssa for this assholic behavior that's not even part of Alyssa's personality.

"What the fuck? Dafuq Ly! Don't make this personal!" Dennise pointed at Alyssa's chest. This is getting ridiculous for her.

Alyssa shrugged and started to turn away when Dennise drag her jersey and turn Alyssa around to face her. Alyssa was expecting fury in Dennise's blue eyes but all she saw is pleading sadness.

"Girls! Break it off!" Amy got in between them, sensing Dennise's foul mood.

The other Lady Eagles immediately rushed to their sides. Their fears coming true that the awkward tension between the two will eventually result in a blow up. They were hoping for a better scenario but these are the cards they're dealt with.

They were lucky that Coach Tai wasn't in for the night because of some urgent meeting that came up, otherwise the fight would result in additional drills and hours of doing laps for their co-captains.

Alyssa walked out from the gym and Dennise sunk into her knees. This is hard for both of them. They didn't even notice the defeated look on their teammates' faces.

Alyssa

How does it feel to like someone and that person is the densest of the dense? Whether you ask me four years ago or now, the answer would be the same. It fucking feels like a gunshot wound.