[21] Fight

Avery Holmes

"What the hell was that?" Niall demanded as the doctor left the suite. It took me by surprise, for sure. Frustrated, he ran his fingers through his hair.

"He can't know." I said, eyes wide. I wasn't sure if I should be afraid of Niall or not. "Nobody can know, nobody can know..."

"And so Aimee can continue suffering like this?" Niall asked.

"We're going to get her medicine and it'll be all over." I knew it was complete bull, because I knew what PTSD was and how serious it was, but I just wanted to forget about all of this. I felt so awful for Aimee, who was now asleep in the bed and perfectly fine- for now.

"Telling might not make it better, Niall." I reminded him. "Police questioning us... going to court..." I shook my head, closing my eyes, pretending it was all a thing of the past. "I want the best for her, but I don't know what that is right now. Overwhelming situations like that tend to make her freak out."

"I know this is best for her." Niall said, interrupting my thoughts. "And I don't know how much longer I can keep this in. He deserves to be behind bars, Ave!" He got louder and I could see him getting even more angry. I backed up against the kitchen counter, starting to get worried.

"No." I stopped him. "Niall, no. You can't." I croaked. "You can't tell anyone right now, okay? Darcy is gonna come tomorrow morning and I'll talk to her, but this is my secret and not yours. If you told..." I trailed off, not wanting to think about it.

"That's just the thing, Avery. It's my secret, too. I'm your boyfriend, I'm responsible for Aimee!" Hearing the word boyfriend escape his lips made me want to smile, but I resisted the urge. "And I want to protect the both of you." He sighed, shaking his head.

"You are, right now. It's not like he's hurting us anymore." I muttered. "I'm gonna go get a shower." I started to stalk off, out of the couch, when I felt an arm grab me and spin me around so that I was face to face with Niall.

"Stop acting like this isn't a big deal when it is!" Niall grew progressively louder, and I was against a counter now, almost like I was pinned.

"I never said it wasn't." I protested, looking up at him like I was a child.

Niall stood over me for a few moments, and then took his phone out of his pocket. I frowned, unsure of what he was doing or why he still wasn't allowing me to move. I crossed my arms over my chest as he dialed three numbers and it all sank it.

"No!" I screamed, reaching for the phone, listening it ring as my heart pounded in my chest. Niall backed up from me, giving me a glare, as I heard a click on the other end and someone speaking. I started to cry, this wasn't what I wanted at all.

"Yes, I'd like to report a-" He didn't get far before I tried to snatch the phone from his hands. I was successful in the part that he was no longer holding it, but now it had flung with a loud thud on the floor. I grabbed it, turning it over, to see that it was cracked all over and off.

"I..." My mouth felt so dry, and I felt dizzy. Niall looked beyond pissed at this point, and if he were to hurt me, he'd have the advantage since I was on the floor and he was towering over me. Shakily, I scrambled to my feet and turned to face him.

"Niall I didn't mean..." I stopped talking, wanted to just evaporate into the air. "You can have mine..."

"I don't want yours!" He roared, and by this point I was genuinely scared. I couldn't think of anything but Jake and how what would normally come next would be painful. I didn't even think that Niall wanted to protect me, which was the real cause of all of this.