[25] Late Night Bus Talks

Avery Holmes

  "You're not getting away now, Avery!" Jake shouted, standing at the end of the ally, smirking my way. I was backed up to the wall, there was nowhere to go. He had a gun in his pocket that terrified me.

  "Please don't do this," I begged Jake as he started inching towards me, walking slowly for dramatic effect. I screamed loudly, hoping that someone would hear me, but nobody came. "Niall!"

  "He's not here now," Jake smirked. My blood ran cold and I began to panic- what did Jake do to Niall? "You can either come back home with me, or die. Your choice."

  "I..." Before I could even respond to this request, Jake slipped his hands around the gun in his pocket, aimed, and fired. It hit me square in the chest and I screamed loudly, falling on the ground. I don't remember the blood, just lying there, on the cold pavement.

  "You should have never left me." Jake said, towering over me.

  I sat up in the soft bed, sweat on my forehead, panting. Looking around the unfamiliar room, I realized that wherever I was, I was in motion. It took me a few seconds to remember that I was in the tour bus, safe and sound

  "Babe?" Niall's soft voice whispered, and I looked over to see that he was sitting up beside me, looking at me worriedly. I shook my head, wiping the sweat off of it. "What happened?"

  "Really bad dream," I admitted, collapsing into his arms on the bed. We fell back on the bed but he continued to hold me and rub my hair soothingly. I felt like a baby. "That was awful... it was Jake, and he shot me, and..."

  "That's not going to happen." Niall said firmly.

  "I know," I sighed. "It just freaked me out, is all."

  "Well he's gonna be behind bars and we're going to be living along the beach somewhere nice, very soon. I promise that, too." He kissed the top of my forehead and I wiped my damp eyes.

  "What about our Motel 6? I miss it." I pouted.

  "Me too. How about this; we'll open our own motel. Let's make it a bed and breakfast, and it can be by the beach. So that runaways like we once were can have a place to go. Who knows? Maybe they'll fall in love." He smirked. 

  "Sounds familiar." I giggled as I felt Niall's arms slip around me. "What time is it?"

  "Four in the morning, or around there." Niall laughed. "I'm wide awake now, though. And I think that Harry and Darcy are still up talking on the couch. They were when I went to take a wee a bit ago."

  "Did you check on Aimee?" I asked.

  "Three times." Niall admitted. "She's fine, still breathing."

  "Well, good." I smiled, sitting back up in the bed right as we hit a small bump. I opened the blind and peered into the dark, wondering just where we were. Were we even in the state of New York now?