Chapter 70

Rise-Katy Perry

I let out a laugh, but it's a forced one, and Abigail notices.

She gives me a look as if to say 'girl, I see right through you' I sigh, dropping the fake smile that had been forced onto my mouth. "I'm sorry, I'm trying here Abi, I promise I am, it's just...I don't know, I just feel so...so...saturnine" I admit, the usual 'blah' feeling I have settling in.

Abigail nods understandingly. "I get it, I wouldn't expect you to be okay. I'd be really freaked out if you were just happy and totally fine after everything that has happened. I just wish that Slyder didn't have this kind of hold over you. Even dead he's still able to control you, you know?" Abigail said.

"Yeah trust me, I get it" I assure. And I do. I mean, I killed him, watched him burn to nothing more than ashes and yet still I'm afraid that he'll just suddenly pop up in my life. I know I know, I'm a big scaredy-cat baby, I just can't help it. It's not like I'm trying to be this paranoid.

Abigail opens her mouth to reply when she's interrupted by her doorbell ringing.

My eyes instantly widen and I grab the pillow from her bed, hugging it tightly to me. "W-were you expecting someone?" I ask.

Abigail looks curiously towards her bedroom door, shaking her head. "No, I wasn't" she says, getting up from the bed.

She walks over to her bedroom door and looks behind her at me, as though to see if I was following. She raises an eyebrow at my scared appearance, "oh come on, when has Slyder ever rung the doorbell?" She asks, rhetorically.

"When he was shape shifted into Brandon" I whisper, my voice hollow with fear.

Abigail says nothing, and opens the door to her room, stepping outside of it "I'll be right back" she assures, but I absolutely hate being alone. Would I rather be in here alone, where someone could pop up out of nowhere and capture me, or go downstairs with her to answer the door? I'll take the latter.

I jump up "wait! I'm coming with!" I exclaim, running forward to catch up.

I still hug the pillow as tightly as I can, my heart racing a thousand miles an hour, in one hand I hold a large butcher knife -just in case- when Abigail pulls the door open to reveal Adelram standing there.

His eyes instantly find mine, he offers a small smile. I don't return it.

"Adelram? What are you doing here?" I ask, taking a step back as I lower the knife in my hands, but I still won't put it back -just in case.

Abigail steps back, allowing him to enter.

"Hey uh, could I talk to Kamaria alone for a minute?" Adelram asks Abigail, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. Abigail looks to me, as though looking for approval. I of course nod, so Abigail looks back to Adelram "yeah sure" she says before walking up stairs to her bedroom.

Adelram waits until he hears her bedroom door shut, then looks to me. "Okay, so uh-I-um I was talking-" he paused to clear his throat "okay um-so-er-uh" he pauses again, clearing his throat once more. "Sorry I um-I was wondering um" he pauses again, his eyes looking anywhere but at me. Something was up, and I was getting annoyed with this.

"Just spit it out!" I exclaim.

Adelram let's out a deep sigh, his sad eyes finally meeting mine. "Can we please sit? I don't know why, I just really don't like having serious conversations standing" he admits, combing his hand through his dark black hair.

'Serious conversation' this can't be good. I nod, slipping the knife back into the kitchen drawer, a nervous feeling flooding over me. I anxiously sit down, I didn't know what was wrong, but I feared what he would say next. Was it something about Slyder? Did he find out Slyder is actually alive?