one - scott

~

~

"Scott, don't freak out." Alex's voice was reassuring.

"O-o-ok," Scott replied. He couldn't see anything due to the blindfold over his eyes. Well, more like bandages. My eyes...

"You going to take the bandage off, ok? Just keep your eyes closed." He nodded hesitantly. He squeezed his eyes shut even tighter as he took off the bandage. There was a small light. Scott made sure not to open. "You sure this'll work, Charles? There's kids around and all." There are other kids?

"I am sure, Alex," a British accent said. Who was that? "I need to see how powerful he is before we do anything."

"Hey Alex! You're back! Charles, Hank, hey. Who's the kid?" There was a new voice, a girl.

"Hey River! Yes, Havok's back," Alex said. Scott could tell he was smiling. "This is my brother I told you about, Scott. Sorry Scott you can't see her, but next to me is Rivera Jasmine Lee."

"Call me River. Or RJ. Pleased to meet you." He felt her shake his hand. "Uh...why do you have bandages around your eyes?" Scott felt himself flush red.

"Something's w-wrong with my e-eyes," he stammered. Well, you officially blew it with this girl, Summers.

"River, please step back," came the British person who Scott assumed was Charles. "This young man is going to show us his mut-"

"Talent," Alex cut in. He patted Scott's shoulders.

"Right," Charles said. "Alright Mr. Summers, there is a target right across the water. Try to hit it, but once I say to stop, you will close your eyes. Understand?" Scott nodded. "River, dear what did I say?"

"Sorry," she said.

"Come here," Alex said. She laughed a bit then fell silent.

"Now," signaled Charles. Scott opened his eyes. He could see a blur of green. He saw a lake. Then there was a burning sensation. He started to breathe quickly. "Look ahead Scott!" Charles said. "The target is right acros-" He was cut off by red lasers blasting from Scott's eyes. Scott yelled out as a reflex.

The red blasted blasted across the water, upending it, and then disintegrated the target. However, he couldn't close his eyes fast enough to stop, and the tree behind the target was cut completely in half. He finally found the strength to close his eyes. Panting, he wrapped the bandage around his eyes.

"Woah," River said quietly.

"Woah indeed," came a new voice. Scott tried to remember the other name River had said: Hank was it? Alex patted his back.

"Good job," he whispered. Scott didn't feel like he had done a good job.

"You know, my grandfather planted that tree when I was born," Charles commented. "I used to to swing from its branches when uh when I was a child." There was a crack, and Scott felt a crash. He imagined that the tree had been split open and fallen over. He heard River stifle a laugh. "I think that was my favorite tree." He couldn't tell if the Charles guy was smiling or frowning.