eight - river

~

~

"She hit that guy instead," Scott whispered. River looked up.

"What?"

"Look," he pointed. River looked out the metal window in shock. The lady had not hit Peter at all, but had sliced into the man's neck.

"But wha...why..." River didn't get to finish because the man wasn't affected at all. He let go of Peter, who  fell onto the ground in pain, and then grabbed the lady's neck, choking her. He looked at her intently as the wound on his neck healed fully. Using some superhuman strength, he pulled her up above the ground by her neck. Choking, her skin changed to blue and her black hair changed to redish orange. "Raven!" River said, with worry.

"Raven...." Charles muttered. His eyes had tears in them. Hank looked as if he wanted to punch someone in the face. Moira started to breathe quicker, and Jean looked like she didn't know what to say.

"Oh my god..." River put her head back into Scott's arm when they saw Raven being choked even more. He hugged her, and she felt herself cry a little.

"The great hero," the man said with disgust.

"I'm going out there," Hank said, walking towards the door.

"I'm going with you," said Scott almost immediately. River put her hand on his shoulder.

"Scott, you could get seriously injured!" she said. "I'm coming with you two."

"River..." said Hank.

"No, Hank, I'm coming along," she said firmly. He sighed.

"Ok." She looked at Scott, who nodded. The three started to walk towards the door, when the professor spoke.

"No," he said, sitting up more. Hank stopped and looked back. "It's me he wants."

"Charles, you can't give yourself up," Moira said. "If he has you, he has us all." Scott watched her then the professor. "The whole world even."

"It's true..." River murmured. The professor sighed. There was a silence. River went over to the window again to look outside, and Scott followed her. The man still had Raven by the neck.

"You are feeble," he snarled. "Just like the others." River looked at Peter, who looked like he wanted to punch that guy very badly. She took in a breath. She was very mad but also very scared. She hated this feeling - the feeling of not knowing what to do.

Raven's skin flickered and waved as the man tightened his grip. She grabbed at his hands and gasped for breath.

"Charles! Come! Rescue your weaklings!" he yelled. The professor looked like he was about to burst of stress and anger. Jean, who was by the other window, was wringing her hands, and Moira was chewing her lip. "Give your life for theirs!" Raven's skin began ripple even more.