thirteen

THIRTEEN:

Blood. It was one of the many things nurses and doctors have to be common with in order to do their job.

Mia laid against a wall in her apartment, panting heavily as blood spilled out of her shoulder. The pain from the bullet was nothing compared to watching her younger brother bleed out on the floor, barely moving.

She tried so hard to call out his name, but her mouth was so dry that she simply couldn't. The brunette squeezed her eyes shut, hissing in pain as she moved slowly off of the wall and towards Joseph.

"Jo..." Mia whispered weakly, grabbing a hold of her shoulder to move closer to him. She tried so hard to hold back tears, but suddenly she was hit with emotion causing tears to fall down her cheeks.

Joseph blinked in her direction, barely able to stick his hand out in her direction. A tear fell from his eye when Mia finally reached him, a small smile on her face.

"J.."

Joseph reached out and cupped her face, slowly rubbing his thumb across her cheek. He gave her a faint smile. "Don't cry, sis. I don't want my final moments to be of you crying."

Mia shook her head, grabbing his hand from her face and holding it tightly for dear life. "No, you are not dying. I am not going to let Ben take you away from me."

"I-I won't make it to the hospital M-Mia. T-the bullet h-hit close to my lungs. I won't be able to breathe soon." Joseph whispered, before coughing up blood to prove his point. Mia scrambles, looking around the room for anything that can help them.

Even in her condition, she doesn't know if there's anything she can do. Mia didn't even know if she would survive.

Joseph pulls her back into reality, his breath decreasing. "You... you are so special, Mimi. Don't let anybody change you. Don't let my death change you."

He pauses, trying to catch his breathe to finish his goodbye. "Mark is the man for you, Mia. I can see it in your eyes and I can see the love he has for you in the way he acts. Do not lose him."

Mia nods her head, sobbing as she clutches to his bloody shirt, never wanting to let go. "I will, I promise you."

"I love.." Joseph breaths out, his body becoming limp causing Mia to sob more, shaking him lightly.

"No, no! Joey, stay here with me! Please!" Mia screams, clutching him while she cries out in pain.

She forgot about being shot, and all her attention was focused on the death of her beloved brother, Joseph Torres.