Loose Ends

Well, I'm up a tree (literally), so I might as well update.

***

Ziva was quiet for the entire funeral.

Tony wasn't sure what he could say that wouldn't push her deeper into her little pit of despair.

"Nice day," he managed, glancing up at the sky. The sun was out and there was only a slight breeze. Too bad the day was marred by a funeral.

She flicked a glance his way, seeming to silently scold him for making such a casual statement.

He didn't realize it was a crime to try to lighten the mood.

They were almost to the gates when Ziva stopped.

Tony patiently shoved his hands in his pockets and waited for her to say something or keep walking.

"I do not understand," she said finally.

"What part?" he asked, playing along.

"Why now? Why wait so long? Maya Burris died months ago. Why wait until now?"

That was a good question.

He shrugged. "Maybe it took some time to plan. Maybe he needed to work up the courage. Maybe he was busy. Maybe he wanted to wait for the season of his favorite show to end."

Instead of smiling, Ziva only glared at him.

It was definitely too soon to be making jokes.

"Sorry."

She sighed and ran a hand through her hair. She was wearing it loose today, somewhere between curly and straight. Very nice. Very Ziva.

It was probably more like she couldn't be bothered to put in much effort today, and he sympathized.

He really did. He was still wearing yesterday's socks.

"You want to go somewhere and grab a bite?" he asked. It was well past lunchtime now and he was starving. His stomach actually growled during the service, and loudly, but they were firing off the guns so he didn't think anyone heard, thank goodness.

"Sure, but something quick."

"I think I know a place." He held out his arm to her, and for a sweaty moment he thought she was going to leave him hanging.

But she met his gaze and gave him a small smile and her arm.

***

Ziva took in the quaint diner's decor. It looked like it came straight out of one of Tony's old movies.

She started to ask him about it, but closed her mouth when she saw him clearly talking it up with a waitress.

Nothing better to do, Ziva resumed glancing around. The only other patron was an older man sitting at the counter, feasting on a giant hamburger and a milkshake. It was all very cliché.

"Sorry about that. Sally was just telling me about her new dog. I haven't been in here in a while," Tony said, somehow managing to sneak up on her.

All of Ziva's senses were still muted from the other day. Probably something to do with shock.

"Sally?" she asked.

He gestured in the blonde waitress's direction.

"Is she an ex?" She didn't know why she asked, but it just slipped out. Force of habit, maybe.