Chapter Fifteen

The door opened what felt like hours later.   Brianna rose from her bed, tears long since dried, book in her grip.  Keeping her eyes down she waited on him.   She fought the fear inside.  She had to do this, and do this well, in order to survive.   At some point, she hoped, she could find a way to free herself.   But until then, she had to not only play well, but win at the mind games he laid out for her.

He stood in the doorway and smiled.  She'd really taken her little lesson to heart, he mused.   It was ideal that he would give her a reward for such immediate correction of her behavior.   "Brianna, come here" he said softly.

Swallowing the rise of nausea in her throat she complied.   She walked up to the towering man, the scent of his earthy cologne causing her stomach to turn.  Standing before him she awaited his instructions.   Inside she screamed and seethed.   How she wished she could gain the upper hand, bash him on the head with something and escape!  Sweet escape, back to the life she knew and loved.   Holding back the sob that rose to threaten her, she waited.

She felt his movement as he reached his hand out and grasped her cold one.   The shock of his touch still startled her, it was like touching stone, but with electric currents running through.  "You may look up now"  Gareth said smoothly, and she hastily complied.   Her eyes met his face and he felt the stirring inside again.   Not now, not yet, he cautioned himself.   He had to have her completely dependent on him for all of her needs, and he knew she was nowhere near there yet. 

He brought forth a necklace with a shining silver chain.  Upon the chain dripped diamonds and rubies so red they looked almost blood-like.   "This is for you.  A small bauble."  He said, then commanded, "Turn around".   

Fighting the urge to scream, she complied.    He stepped close behind her, close enough for her to feel his powerful presence.   He seemed much stronger than he appeared at first glance, and her terror threatened to engulf her again.    Meekly she waited as he reached over her with iron muscle arms and placed the necklace around her throat.  As he fastened the priceless gems securely his fingers rested on the side of her neck, right over her hammering pulse.   His grip tightened and he leaned forward, pressing close to her, lips hovering near her ear.

Brianna closed her eyes as she felt him stilling, breathing in her scent.   God, whatever she had to endure, please not that, she moaned inwardly.   A tear squeezed out of her eyes and she fought the rising hysteria.   Strength she never knew she possessed grew and blossomed in her heart.  

He stood still as a stone, finger feeling the lovely race of her pulse, which increased as soon as he'd touched her.   Her smell intoxicated him and for a moment he had a very difficult time keeping his steel restraint in place.   Quickly stepping back he turned her to face him.   He watched the expression of relief flit across her face and smiled.   Oh silly girl, he thought, what I have in store for you is far more important than physical release. 

Brianna trembled as she looked into his dark and unreadable eyes.   The necklace she now wore sparkled even in the dim light and felt like a collar of ownership, more than anything.  She did not want to be his, did not want to be owned.    She tried to keep the sudden dislike from her eyes, fearing what would happen if he saw it.   "T-thank you Sir. " She said primly. 

He nodded, and surprised her by saying, " I am well pleased by your behaviour Brianna.  I believe I shall treat you to dinner upstairs tonight.    Be sure you wear the dress I have laid out in your bathroom.    Tie your hair up, well off of your neck.   You should never hide such a lovely sight from me."  

As he moved away he looked at her once more and said, "And Brianna, don't even think about escape.   You would not want the consequences of such an attempt.  An attempt I can assure you, will fail."

As soon as he'd left her again, Brianna roamed into the bathroom, emotions tearing through her.   How on Earth could she take much more?   Pounding her fists into the cool marble sink she screamed her heart out, unaware that if she truly understood who Gareth was, she would be beyond hysterical......