Chapter Eighteen

Gareth watched Brianna as she sat across the long oak table from him, enjoying the play of the candlelight on her alabaster skin.  So smooth, so perfect; he smiled in a way that did not appease her at all.   He knew he upset her, he knew she was terrified, and she of course had good reason to be.   There was nowhere she could go, no way she could escape him; once he'd chosen to bring her here, her fate was sealed. 

Seeing her hand tremble on the crystal wine goblet he said in a low voice, "Easy on the drink, my dear, you've not eaten a bite yet.   Enjoy, you have earned the right today to eat in my presence.   Perhaps tommorrow you will earn further freedoms."

Startled by the thought she looked at him, the glass almost dropped from her fingers.   Could he mean she would be out of that horrid little room?  She only dared to hope.   Forcing a smile to her stubborn lips she said breathlessly, "Why thank you Sir.  I, I appreciate your being considerate of me."  While her insides churned with disgust she pasted the fake look of cheer upon herself.  It was so important he believe that she was being fully truthful.  She cut a small bite of chicken and hesitantly ate it, slowly chewing.    It was proving so hard to control the constant desire to scream for help, to stop the hysteria causing her pulse to race.   

Trying a new tack while he was being agreeable, Brianna swallowed and asked, "You were gone some time today before you returned to collect me for dinner.  Did you have a pleasant afternoon?"  He almost laughed out loud at her ill concealed attempt to extract information from him.  He was a master at detecting the truth of another's thoughts, and he saw through hers so clearly.   She was trying to find a way, anyway to escape, he knew this.   Yet he did not feel the usual rage when one of his projects disobeyed him in that way.   For some reason, Brianna was different to him and he could not tell quite why that was.  But he was intrigued. 

Rather than closing up to her question he replied to her. "Ah yes Brianna dear, I was in town today.  I enjoy watching the detective looking for you chase her tail in endless circles.  Police are such fools, you know."  He paused to gauge her reaction, noting smugly the shock in her eyes as he continued, "It was tremendously thrilling to watch her going through your little apartment, stepping onto the same balcony I'd watched you step out on, so many times.   I could have taken her as well, if I chose.  It pleases me to think of it."

The color, what color there had been, drained from Brianna's face at his words.  She saw the cruel smile and dark light in his eyes.   Oh how could she have even tried to be subtle with him, she cried inwardly.  Cringing as she watched him rise and walk towards her she used every ounce of strength to not flee.  She saw  now the sad truth, he was a predator of the worst kind, and she was his prey.  

He stopped near her, wrapped an iron strong hand around her arm and drew her forcibly to her feet.   Face close to hers he hissed quietly, " Does that scare you dear?  To know that you cannot fool me?  That I watched you for days?  That I could and can take anyone I choose at any time, like the silence of Death near the grave?"

Teetering on the tall heels he had made her wear she looked straight into his eyes, those terrible, unreadable eyes and forced out a reply.  " No, no Sir, I meant no disrespect.  I am, am so lonely in my quarters, I only wanted to converse with you."  Desperately she tried not to cringe at the sharp pain of his grip, then just as quickly, he released her.  

Stepping back, he nodded and smiled at her.  "Very well.  But you should know.  If I do allow you from your room and you do attempt to flee from me, you will wish Death were upon you.  Do I make myself clear? "

Brianna nodded wordlessly....what else could she do?  It seemed he knew her own heart and thoughts as well if not better than she.   There really was no escape.   The stress, the lack of a proper meal and the wine caused the room to spin, her body became numb and the darkness overtook her...