Chapter Twenty-Two

Brianna wandered the perimeter of the palatial estate, mind whirling endlessly.  She followed the imposing fence for what seemed miles, as it dipped through the dark woods only to re-emerge in wide open pastures.  There was no way to scale the walls, no way to get around them and she continued on, dirtying the hem of the beautiful gown she still wore, bare feet marked up from the hard ground.

Seemingly hours later the house came back into view, its imposing brick facade rising above as if in admonishment.  Hysterical laughter bubbled to her throat as she noticed the dark clouds that had replaced the sunshine.  No way out, her mind screamed at her, no way to run.  Try as she might she couldn't locate a single weak point to this fortress.   She collapsed on the ground by the back of the mansion, crying her heart out.   What had she done to deserve this she moaned, as the first heavy drops of rain came from the sky.

It was here Gareth found her, curled up on the flagstones of the deck, soaked to the skin and shivering.   He frowned as he stepped from his car.  He could ill afford her to get sick he thought, moving to scoop her up from the ground.   Incoherent she muttered as he carried her inside, set her on her feet and then proceeded to slap her roughly across the face.

The shock of the blow crashed through Brianna's mind, bringing her back from the pit of misery she'd mired herself in.   "Brianna you mustn't do anything to harm yourself" he said darkly, eyes burning her.  "As my wife you have responsibilities to care for yourself and keep yourself well."

Brianna felt the flicker of anger spring to life.  Half hysteric she cried, "Wife! As if I would ever marry you!  You are a monster and I hate you!"

He struck like a snake, backhanding her again, knocking her onto the floor violently and towering above her.  "You have no idea how much of a monster I am.  You will find out soon enough."  he said in a dangerously quiet voice, kneeling down beside her and  roughly grabbing the back of her neck, forcing her to look at him.  "As you can see, you are well and truly married.  Whether you remember it or not is not my problem.  In the eyes of the state you are my wife.  You will learn to accept that, in time, and you will learn to love me as well.   But you Brianna, will never raise your voice to me again if you wish to continue to draw breath."

Viciously strong hands dragged her to her feet again.  He forced her down the sweeping stairs and back into her little dungeon room, pushing her into the closed door, hard.  Pressing his body against hers he brought his eyes to her level and said in a deadly soft whisper, "You will now be punished for your behavior, and I expect that you will never forget the lesson I am about to give you...."

With that he tapped the code into the lock and threw her across the threshold of the small room.  Brianna let loose a scream of terror as he stepped inside and shut the door behind him.  He advanced upon her like a lethal being and she scrabbled across the floor, fighting the urge to cry.  She wouldn't give him the satisfaction, she thought, looking him in the eyes as he came upon her.  

When she was cornered she noticed for the first time the riding crop he held in his hand.  Where had he gotten that?  Terror stricken she shook her head as he raised the whip high.  The whistling noise it made was something she would never forget, not for the rest of however much life she had left to endure and as it fell upon her she screamed in pain and loathing.  He struck her again and again, harder and harder, each blow more painful than the last.   The wide leather of the riding crop sang through the air, meeting her flesh and tearing her clothes.    

How long this inhumane beating went on she couldn't say, only to be aware later she lay crumpled on the floor, throbbing in pain from head to toe.  When he'd finished with the crop he'd then dragged her to the bed and tossed her upon it.  With a firm voice he told her "This is the last time I will have to admonish you in this way Brianna.  You will behave and obey me as my wife, in all matters.  I trust you will learn from your punishment."

He turned soundlessly and left the room, door locking shut behind him.   As he stood outside the door he heard her shrieking cries and smiled.   He hadn't broken her, not yet.  But soon, when she found out why he could not be bested she would be.   Walking away from the room he whistled as he strode off, tossing the now shredded riding crop to the side.