Chapter Thirty

Gareth thought he was prepared as he sank onto the balls of his feet, watching the vision that was his newborn mate.    She sprang across the room, the rage in her eyes burning as she slammed into him, knocking him back into the heavy oaken table.    Centuries old the table splintered apart as if it were a matchbox, crumpling under the extreme power of her charge.

Brianna hissed in his face, wild and feral feelings overwhelming her.   Snapping sharp teeth inches from his face she pushed away from him, delicate hands balled into fists.   Her own voice surprised her in its soft and ethereal quality as she spoke to him.  "This, this is wrong.    I have no idea why you did this to me, but I will not allow it!"   

He rose from the ruins of the table once owned by King Henry the Eighth of England, mildly disappointed at its loss.    Eyes never leaving her glittering form he spoke as he warily took a step back,  realizing in this moment that she was stronger than he.  "Brianna, my dearest one.   I did this, as you put it, because I knew you would be glorious.  I knew you would be a match to me in every way, and I was right."  

She watched him, hyper aware of every movement he made.  She could see easily were he'd step next, and if she chose, could attack with ease.   She was noticing other things now as her initial fury subsided.   His scent, for one.  It was musty in a way not unpleasant to her,  and surprisingly warm.  Her eyes caught the movement of dust motes upon the air, and she heard the creaking of the manse around them.     She did not miss the thudding of her own heart, and felt a rush of confidence stronger than any she'd ever felt.  

Any imperfections she may have had were gone.  Burned away by the phantom's venom.   Every inch of her was smooth and intoxicating, even to him.   She looked at him and asked softly, "What now then? " 

Gareth's eyes widened.  He hadn't expected her to control herself so quickly.   He'd expected more of his valued treasures to be destroyed by her anger before this night was over.   Keeping his distance carefully and noting how her sharp eyes followed him even before he moved, he said, "Why my darling one, now, we hunt."

The moment the word left his cold lips she felt it.  For the first time the burning inside wasn't rage, it was hunger.  All consuming, demanding thirst.    Her throat burned violently and her gaze became flat and voracious.   Then a new sound reached her ears, the thudding of a heart, a new smell reached her, the warm blood of her first kill.   She fought to control herself, she could not be a monster, would not be, but the glimmer in Gareth's eyes encouraged her.   In her mind she heard only one thought, hunt. 

He smiled as he watched her transform from cool, delicious beauty to savage apex predator.    He'd prepared the woods nearby for her, so as not to draw attention to them.   He reached out his stone hand and said , "Come"

Without hesitation, former life behind her, Brianna took his hand in his and they headed out into the deep ebony of a starless night.