Chapter Thirty Two

Brianna became aware of her surroundings slowly.  The burning haze of hunger lifted from her mind now she could focus clearly.    Sharp eyes sparkled in the dim light of the campfire, she stepped back into the full darkness of the surrounding forest, feeling the strength coming as her hunger lessened.  It lessened but the predatory urge never left, her nose catching on the warm scent of deer nearby..and further afield the seductive siren call of another human's beating heart.

Even Gareth's slight inhale of breath brought her quickly to attention.  She looked at him with wary eyes, unreadable in their depth.   He stood there and for the first time she realized how truly beautiful he was.  How as a human she had not seen this other-worldly glow she could not say, but now as her senses lost their shroud of dullness his stunning visage struck her with full force.

He saw the change in her eyes before she even felt the tremor.   A small smile, predatory in its own way rose the corner of his lips, brilliantly white teeth shining in the dark.   He knew well to be cautious with one newly born into the world of Nosferatu but his own banked desires flamed at the the changing light in her eyes.  Never was there a more beautiful creature, he thought, watching the silky flaxen blonde tresses waving about her face gently in the night breeze.   She was more than he'd imagined, so much more...and she was dangerous.   Lethality emanated from her with each breath she drew, and Gareth knew, safe was a word that would never apply to her again.    He carefully and deliberately took a measured step in her direction, watching her reactions as the lion watches the lioness.  

The moment he moved, Brianna leaped.   Like one maddened she charged straight at him, no warning, no snarl.   Anger overrode her mind and the very human thought of the monster that had turned her into a monster filled her with hate.  She heard his sharp intake of breath and he sidestepped and just barely avoided her as she flew past him and into a thick oak tree, shattering the trunk as if it were matchsticks.   Whirling, eyes savage in their fury she hissed at him..."What did you think would happen Gareth?  Did you think you'd turn me into your little slave in the afterlife as well?  You have to  know I cannot not let this be.  I will be nobody's to keep!  You've created the monster, now you will pay for it!"

Baring her teeth she came for him again, blood-lust in her face.   Gareth grinned, moving lightly around her in the firelight's shine.   She would never be easy, he realized as he felt the urge for her rising insistently throughout his body.  She never would be, but she would be so worth it.  Laughing lightly, provoking her intentionally, he called to her...."Catch me if you can my dear one...certainly you should have a chance to make me pay for what I've made you...."

With a blink he was gone into the trees, branches whirling in the speed of his departure.   Enraged Brianna gave chase, her sharp eyes following him as if he wasn't running faster than most automobiles could go, as if he was melting from tree to tree, cruising around them easily, scarcely taking a breath.   She gained on him slowly as they flew through the forests and before she realized where they were the fortress of his home rose up out of the night.    Shaking her head in disgust she realized he'd played her again...looping them back to the  prison in which he'd held her for so long.  

Stopping she looked at him with rage and said with a shaking voice, "You really have the nerve, don't you...Do you really think I'm stupid enough to go into that mausoleum with you again?"

Gareth turned to her, mere feet away from him, and stepped towards her with confidence.   Eyes locked on hers, startling in their intensity ,he said in a soft purr, "Not only will you enter my home again, you will become my wife in all ways by the end of this evening...and what's more.." he paused, the savage twinkle returning..."You will not only love it, but be enthralled by being and belonging to me in all ways."

A laugh escaped him at her growl as he wrapped a steel hand around her equally strong wrist.  Gareth felt the thud of undead rage through her and drew her to him until she was inches from him.  Eyes wild and wide she waited for him...for the trap had indeed been set, but by whom, one could not tell as they moved into each other, his mouth bending down to reach hers.......