01 | threshold

چه بیهوده گویی که پاینده مانم
تو مانی، اگر زندگانی نپاید؟
How vainly you say, "I will stand firm."
If life itself won't stand firm, how will you?

Sunday - 9:39am

The darkness that had sprawled its wings over the large room was challenged only by faint light of a candle that tore through it, its luminosity giving way to light that heals. Silence like that of the grave was settled in the room, adding to the horror that was already present, engulfing the intimidated.

The light reflected from the faces of the two beings, of opposite gender, as they sat in silence and looked ahead at the vastness of the room, their eyes fixed but filled with unsaid emotions. Through silence, they communicated and through darkness, they felt.

The man shifted in his position as he turned towards the woman, his eyes scanning the lady who had her eyes closed now. A few moments passed without any movement and a second later, he took the woman's hands in his own.

The woman fluttered her eyes open as she turned around too, her lids wide in astonishment as she gazed at the face of a man with crooked nose. The man parted his thin lips to utter words but closed them within a second. A few minutes dragged and he again opened them, the lady's hand still in his.

"Ma dr ni..hay'..at am..oz mul..qat.. " He whispered slowly and the lady's eyes narrowed in confusion before she nodded her head in understanding.

Although the words were incoherent and voice of the known stranger not more than a whisper, they still seemed to make sense to the woman somewhow who listened intently to each word uttered by the man.

On seeing the lady smile, the man too smiled, a small one before the smile vanished altogether and a shadow lurked over his face.

"An ra'az ag..az ta pay..'an ast.. " He whispered, his voice now frightened and the same expressions settled on the woman's face too.

With eyes widened in fright, she bent towards him to ask for the meaning behind his statement but before any words, actions were taken and the man pulled his hand out of the woman's hold, his body coated with sweat, as if he was afraid.

The woman's eyes followed the man's face and stood up with him, her mind although too numb with fear. Her eyes were fixed on his face and a second later, light blow of the wind moved around them and the candle lost its power as the wicks crumbled, the darkness completely engulfing the woman and her senses and it was a frightened voice that left her throat.

~~~

The cold wind struck her face and she shifted uncomfortably in her place, her eyes squinting as she buried herself deeper in the bed. Tightening the blanket around her body, she pulled her legs to her chest as she closed her eyes peacefully, a confused yet serene expression settled on her face.

The sleep which was broken now by the strange dream she had had a few minutes ago didn't seem too merciful to take her in its wings again but nevertheless, she stayed in the bed, trying to remember the dream that had made every hair of her body stand up, not out of fear but anticipation.

Suddenly, her eyes opened and narrowed in confusion as she thought about the cold wind hitting her face. The window was locked when she went to bed last night, how was it open now and letting way to the strokes of wind that caressed her cheeks?

Her question was answered not a second later when a sharp sound came followed by an abrupt action as the blanket which protected the woman from the cold of September was tugged at the end and a moment later, it was snatched all together.