32 | ironclad

دنیا کی وہی رونق، دل کی وہی تنہائی

Monday - 8:19pm

Ibrahim was late.

Standing outside the gates of her house, Hemayal cast a glance at the watch bound to her wrist, impatience laced with tension knotting her stomach.

Dressed to simplicity in her high-waisted black jeans paired with a mustard sweater tucked in, white sneakers adorning her feet, Hemayal Khakwani radiated ease and calm tonight.

Her insides were anything but.

Suddenly, a white Mercedez pulled up right in front of her, effectively pulling her out of her reverie just as a man hurriedly exited it. Memories after memories from last night synapsed her neurons at the sight of him - all intense; all consuming. 

"You're late." Hemayal remarked, trying to postpone the confrontation, as her reproaching gaze moved between her watch and the man - the man who, like always, was making her mouth dry with his impeccable dressing and cologne.

"I am so sorry. Work's always hard on Mondays." Ibrahim cast her an apologetic glance as he opened the door for her and Hemayal, once again, found herself in the confines of his posh travel.

How does she always end up here?

"And that's why I insisted on coming myself. You men cannot be trusted when it comes to timing." Hemayal said, buckling her seatbelt just as the car sped effectively forward.

"I really am sorry but please don't fight me on this. Your safety is my concern and I don't like the thought of you driving alone, totally unsafe when there are other options availabe." Ibrahim said, making a turn and effectively taking her away from the safety of her home.

"I drove alone before and was perfectly fine and safe." Hemayal remarked, voice defensive. 

"I know you can, Hemayal. And I also know that if faced with, you can defend yourself perfectly well. I just don't like taking a risk when the thing at risk is your safety." Ibrahim said, voice the same shade of serious she just didn't like in him. 

What is one suppoed to respond to that?

His protectiveness always touched her, it was a natural reaction towards a man whom she'd spent half of her life loving. But it also ticked her; a part of her brain insistent that he was just manipulating her into giving in and God, did she fear doing that.

She had let this man walk all over her once, she wasn't going to allow him to do it again.

"Can we please talk about what happened last night?" Ibrahim said, finally addressing the subject that tightened her stomach into knots; made her heart flutter in the confines of her ribcage.

"I rather not." Hemayal said, trying to maintain the strength of her voice but she could physically feel it crumbling.

Last night was no ordinary night - both of them knew it. It was a night Hemayal Khakwani had finally given an inch to the man whom she was at war with and now only a single thought seemed to cross the threshold of their mind - if there can be an inch, there can be everything

"Hemayal, please. It's important for me to know what drove you to the edge. Is it something my mother said, or Safaa or maybe me? Did I do something?" Ibrahim said, voice torn and memories of her figure gathered in his arms made her stomach turn again.

"No, it's not about any of you.." She silently replied, eyes fixed far ahead at the road.

"Then why did you completely fell apart just a few hours after meeting them?" That was a concept Ibrahim just couldn't gather his mind around.