27 | plan

یہ لوگ شیشہء دل کو
کم نگاہی سے توڑ دیتے ہیں

Monday 7:32am

"When did you get home last night, Hami?" Anisha Bhabhi asked over breakfast table and Hemayal took her time chewing her food before replying.

"Around two, I think. The flight got delayed half an hour." She replied, spoon held between the long fingers as it lingered above a bowl of cereal.

"And how was the trip?" Hadeed Lala asked, dressed up nicely in an immaculate suit, ready for the busy Monday day ahead.

The whole family was gathered around the dining table, the head chair vacated but the two sides were filled, occupied by members of Khakwani household. Morning light streamed in through the closed windows, blocking the harsh winds with determination and ease. Sun hadn't completely risen, promising a cloudy day ahead but Hemayal didn't mind.

The colder, the better.

"Busy," The one-word answer didn't satisfy her brother, if momentary concern flashing across his eyes was any indication, so Hemayal forced a few more words out, halting her mind from wandering to places she knew held pain and nostalgia. "But productive. The conference ended on a good note but one can just hope the beneficiaries stick to what we agreed on."

The elaborate answer seemed to ease Hadeed Lala who leaned back in his seat with a nod, raising the tea cup to his lips but careful eyes still settled on Hemayal. But by now, she had grown used to the concerned gaze which had become a constant ever since Dadu's death. With that thought, her eyes flickered to the empty head seat where her Dadu used to sit.

No one had dared occupying it afterwards, not even her father who sat in his usual place on the right, probably hoping that their action would make the dead man stay with them in some way - in any way - possible.

"Did you meet Ibrahim there?" Hadeed Lala's sudden question stopped Hemayal in her place, coffee mug frozen in her hand as her eyes went wide momentarily, all the memories from the weekend choosing the exact moment to surface.

Even her father and sister-in-law stared at Hadeed with questioned, confused stare.

"Yeah, I did," Hemayal managed to utter without choking on her words, gaze now reduced to a glare. "What were you thinking telling him where I was?"

Hemayal realized the harshness in her voice a little too late but by then, the damage was done. Everyone's eyes now shifted to her, brows drawing in confusion and worry and Hemayal cursed under her breath.

Great.

"I just...he talked about meeting you the day before and I told him you went to Karachi. He didn't call me to ask about you; the call was work related but one topic led to another and I told him. I didn't know we were hiding?" Hadeed Lala's brows were raised in obvious concern and Hemayal counted to five under her breath before trusting herself to utter anything.

"What work do you have with him?" Hemayal asked, ignoring her brother's last question.

"He wanted some legal advice. Why is that so surprising?" He asked.

"It's... you just didn't mention him before." Hemayal replied, going back to sipping her coffee with cool and calm exterior - her interiors anything but.

"I mention him occasionally, I think. You know we keep in touch." Hadeed Lala's brows were drawn warily and Hemayal managed a smile and nodded her head, choosing to not respond to the statement but Hadeed Lala wasn't done yet.