08 | encounters

ندای عـشـق تو دیشـب در اندرون دادند
Within me last night, the voice of your love did break

Tuesday - 1:21am

The darkness had never felt more bright.

The room depicted a strange kind of darkness, a kind that swallowed a man as a whole and left nothing behind but the ashes of unrelenting miseries and horrifying imaginations. The two combined had an effect that was such a level of disaster that the world had never witnessed before.

No source of light flickered through the spacious room; no window gave way to wind that would have caused her lashes to flutter. Everywhere she gazed at, it was immense darkness, only vision her retina reflected was pitch blackness.

A few moments dragged by with speed of a turtle before her ears picked the sound waves and her heart, speed. Eyes suddenly widening, she looked around her surrounding, narrowing her eyes to slits but still, only blackness seemed to welcome her.

Opposing the phenomenon of physics, sound came before light and not a second had passed when her lids picked a source of light, some meters above the ground and held by a man who slowly walked towards her - a tall, intimidating man whose face glowed above the candle.

"Hemayal?" His voice was no louder than a whisper, but even that was enough.

The dense darkness in the room was now broken by thefaint stream of flickering candle and the woman felt warmth flooding her. His perfume invaded her senses and she smiled, a small but a definite smile. The man, after a moment of hesitation, stepped inside her private circle and her eyes searched his with a sense of anticipation and fright.

"Ma.. nam..h'..ham am..man dal..al da..m.." He took a step forward, and the woman's eyes widened as confusion laced the brown irises.

"I don't underst.." She had yet to finish her sentence when she was stopped by a voice that rose with each uttered word.

"Az..man mun..fir ne..st.." He added and before the woman could respond this time, he sliced the small distance between them with ease.

With quickness and smoothness she didn't expect, the man raised his arms only to coil his hand around the woman's slender neck, pressing on the spots he knew were sensitive and her eyes widened in surprise, astonishment and most importantly, grief.

The light diminished as the lone candle fell on the floor with a thud.

~~~

Hemayal Khakwani woke with a start.

The lids snapped open as alarm and terror shot through her spine, the irises widening in sheer horror. It took a mere few moments as the scenes of the dream flashed before her eyes, each one adding to the horror of the already petrified lady. Sweat beaded the forehead; thorns grew in the throat, and Hemayal Khakwani didn't think she had felt more scared in twenty-five years of her life.

Her palm instantly went north towards the throat, settling at the base of it as she caressed it with renowned fright and immense gratitude. Closing the heavy lids, she let the lashes fuse and a sigh escaped past the parched lips. Moisturizing her lips with the tongue and gulping down the bile, Hemayal attempted in vain to soothe the fire that was lit inside her, before opening her eyes slowly.

However, the only things her eyes reflected was a heavy darkness and she relived the moments of her dream in a matter of few seconds. Panic surged through her as she hurriedly closed her lids, rubbing it with the back of her hand before opening her eyes again. Still nothing stimulated the nerve in her eyes and she registered with fright as darkness completely engulfed her.