Chapter 35 ~ Decisions

Jake's POV:

"Mom, what's he doing here." I said, with the mixed feelings of anger and hurt evident in every word that left my mouth.

"It's okay, Jake. He only came to talk." she said.

"Don't be rude, son. He's a guest." she added.

I couldn't believe how she was so calm about this.

He left us, the people he was supposed to love the most, alone and scared.

When he left, I automatically became the man of the house. It was my job to keep my small family safe, even if it meant growing up faster than other kids.

"I would stay and talk, but it's more than a decade too late." was all I said to him after passing through the living room and going upstairs to my room.

I slammed the door closed, and just sat on my bed.

No words or loud sounds came out. Just soft sniffles and warm tears streamed down my face and surrounded me.

About fifteen minutes after I composed myself, I heard a knock at my door.

I got up angrily and stormed to the door, swinging it open.

"What do you wan..." I said harshly, until I realized who I was face to face with.

A scared Lindsey was looking up at me with fear in her eyes.

"I-I'm sorry. I di-didn't know it was you." I tried to explain.

Her scared expression was wiped off her face and she was back to looking like the happy, gentle person she always was.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her.

"I forgot to give you back your jacket." she said, holding out my grey pullover in front of me.

"Thanks." I said, taking it back.

"Your mom let me in." she said, knowing that was the next thing I would ask.

"Oh, okay." I said, looking down at the floor.

"Jake?"

"Yea?" I answered.

"Was that man she was talking to your father?" she said quietly.

I nodded slowly, my brows scrunching while the anger and hurt came back to taunt me again.

Lindsey reached forward and hugged me.

I wrapped my arms around her small figure and hugged her back. She was the only thing keeping me from breaking down completely.

"Can I come in?" she asked.

"Sure," I said, steeping away from the door to let her into my room.

It wasn't anything fancy. The walls were painted a cream white, and a few basketball trophies sat on shelves around the room. My bed was right in the center, and my dresser lined directly across from it.

"Your room is nice." she said, looking around at everything in it.

"It isn't much." I responded.