7 - Present

warning;; super long chapter!! also, i know it's a lot to ask but can we get to 70 votes?

I managed to fall asleep as soon as we drove out of the gas station where we'd stopped for dinner. When I opened my eyes, the landscape outside had changed from dense woods to rolling hills and I couldn't be happier about that.

I turned to glance at Phil. His body was completely stiff and his eyes were drooping. It was obvious that he was tired. "We should stop for the night."

Phil immediately shook his head. "No. We need to get to Norwich."

"That sounds like a joke." Phil stayed silent, scowling as he stared ahead. I bit my lip. "Fine, I can drive for a while."

We switched places and as soon as Phil was in the passenger's seat, his cheek was pressed against the window. He watched me as I started the car and pulled back onto the road.

"Do I have to drive straight there? Doesn't the car need to cool off or something?"

Phil shrugged, pulling his eyebrows together as if trying to remember something. "I don't know much about cars."

Beyond how to steal them, I thought to myself.

The next time I looked over at Phil, he was fast asleep. A wave of relief rolled over me. Being in Phil's presence almost hurt. The eternal confusion probably had something to do with that. I had so many questions, and every time I managed to convince Phil to answer one, a hundred took its place. Why on Earth did he carry around pictures of me? Why did he pretend to hate me for years?

The ghost of Phil's kiss still lingered on my forehead, and I wasn't completely sure how I felt about that.

A couple hours passed, before my exhaustion set in; I could barely keep my eyes open.

I'd just pulled over when Phil woke up. "Why have we stopped?"

"I'm too tired to drive. I thought you'd like to live til tomorrow."

Phil simply nodded sleepily and moved his legs. His knees bumped the glove compartment and he cursed under his breath.

My sleep addled brain urged me forward, and I reached across and grabbed his hand. Long fingers wrapped around mine and without a word, Phil squeezed them. I swear I felt his heartbeat through his palm. It seemed to seep into me and ease the questions running through my mind, even if it didn't answer them completely.

"Sweet dreams," I muttered.

Phil didn't say a word.

* * *

The car started smoking in a short stretch between two massive hills at the side of the road. My eyes involuntarily widened as I pulled into the gas station - that was conveniently only a few metres away - and popped the hood. Smoke billowed into my face and I was still coughing as Phil came to join me in front of the car.

"How old is this car?"

"Five years."

Phil put his hands on his hips. "We don't need this. We really don't fucking need this," he grumbled, mostly to himself.

It was only noon and hot air hung around us like flies. The desire to chuckle took over my body, and I let out a little gasp of laughter.

Phil immediately turned on me. "What? You think this is funny?"

I shrugged helplessly. "Yeah, I think it's funny. Everything about this situation is like some fucked-up comedy. The flat tire. Blake. Me and you travelling together. Now this! Next thing you know, a gang of bikers is going to start a bar fight with us."