VII - Past

**sorryyyyyyy**

Harvey's rules filled almost every aspect of Phil's day. No loitering around town after school. Keep the house clean for your mother. Don't let her drink or use her 'painkillers' - which didn't go over well at all. How many times would Phil's mum relapse before Harvey gave up on her?

Phil didn't know, but he figured it'd happen eventually.

The worst rule, though, was the one he gave himself - don't hang out with Dan when Harvey is around. That meant he no longer went to Dan's house everyday after school or on the weekends. They only really saw each other at school, and Phil couldn't tell Dan why.

If he did, Dan would want to say something stupid, and that'd cause even more problems. Even if Dan's bruises healed, that didn't mean Dan wouldn't do something to get Harvey to beat him up again. Phil knew that if that happened, Harvey would definitely break something to get his point across.

It didn't just affect Dan; it meant Phil had a lot less to do on a daily basis. He sure as shit wasn't going to try to up his grades now. How could he care about school when he was fighting a battle on the home front to keep his best friend alive?

Plus, good grades weren't one of Harvey's rules - thank the fucking moon!

The only relief Phil got from worrying about Harvey was when his own father was sentenced.

Three life sentences.

No chance of parole.

The courtroom bustled with activity after the judge read it and Phil's dad glowered at everyone in the room, his eyes lingering specifically on Phil.

Phil stiffened under the gaze and scowled back. His bastard dad deserved it.

Harvey didn't seem particularly put out that his own brother was going to spend the rest of his life locked up, but then again, Phil didn't blame him.

After that, life fell back into a semblance of normal. The school year dragged, and Phil kept an eye on Dan, like always. Keeping him away from Harvey worked.

But then, during Christmas break, everything changed.

Harvey and Phil's mum were going on a trip to a cabin in the woods. To Phil's supreme relief, he wasn't invited. Instead, Harvey trusted his care to the Howell family. That meant, that for two glorious weeks, everything would go back to the way it was before.

"It's been so long since you came over," Dan's mum cooed as Phil walked into the house with his backpack, even though his own house was just next door.

Unlike Harvey, the Howells actually decorated for the holidays. The house was decked out with sparkly lights and freshly made wreaths. The scent of pine lingered in his nose. "Yeah, Harvey has a lot of strict rules."

Dan's mum nodded. "I'm off to work. I'll see you boys when I get home in the morning. Dinner's in the oven. Enjoy!" She said and left.

Dan grinned as he leant against the doorway. His caramel eyes danced in the light. "I can't believe Harvey let you stay here after a year of not letting you come over."

Phil cleared his throat and tried to convince himself it wasn't an accusation. Dan didn't know the truth. "Yeah. I guess he didn't want me staying too far from the house."

Dan shrugged. "Works out for us. Did you want to sleep on my bed or on the floor?"

'Bed' almost slipped off Phil's tongue, but he held it back. They were 17 now. That wasn't okay anymore. "Whichever," he mumbled instead and went to drop off his backpack in Dan's room.