Chapter 1

Ariana held her phone to her ear. "I just got to school," she told her sister, Cristina, who she could hear shuffling around on the line. "I have to go to the office first and get some details sorted out."

"Have renovations started?" Cristina asked.

"Yes." Ariana strained to hear the bustle of construction. "They started tearing the building down when school let out in May. It was totally condemned. The district decided to just rebuild it."

She neared the administration building. "I have to use a different room this year. I'm going to miss my classroom."

Cristina laughed. "It's better than getting rained on, right? Maybe your new room will have windows?"

"Windows? What are those?"

They both laughed.

Ariana muttered a quick, "hold on", and entered the main office. She was immediately greeted by Mrs. Rodriguez, the primary secretary.

"Good morning, Ariana." Mrs. Rodriguez stood from her desk and walked over to the counter. "I have your room assignment here."

Ariana stepped up to the counter.

Mrs. Rodriguez pushed a slip of paper toward her. "Oh! And I have the faculty meetings for August & September all scheduled and I've printed off calendars." She scampered to the end of the counter and brought back a sheet. "If there are any changes, I'll send an email."

"Thanks, Mrs. Rodriguez."

Mrs. Rodriguez studied her room assignment. "Looks like you won't be moving far."

Ariana peeked at her new room number and tried not to groan out loud. "Nope. That's a relief."

Mrs. Rodriguez smiled, oblivious to Ariana's dismay. "The door should be open. You'll get your room key in a few days, hopefully."

"Thanks." Ariana took her papers and left the office, walking in the direction of her new classroom.

She brought her phone back to her ear. "Surprise, surprise. No windows."

"Awe, boo!" Cristina whined.

"It gets worse."

"What is it?"

"My room is in the English building." Ariana walked toward the facade of her new home for the next year.

"What's so bad about that?"

"My enemy might be lurking in those halls."

Cristina let out a loud laugh. "Oh, Ari. Honestly."

Ariana met the hard brick exterior with a scowl and entered through the west doors. Her feet tapped lightly against the linoleum floors and she let out a sigh of relief when the cool air hit her. She let the door close behind her and remember her sister was still on the phone.

"Marco took Santi to the Children's Museum," Cristina spoke. "Mom has Daniela for the morning, while I get the food and cupcakes ready."

Straight ahead of the doors, across the lobby, were the double doors to the Media Center. Ariana cast a glance to her left. The north wing was lit. She turned to her right and entered the southern wing, where her classroom was. She passed, one, two, three, and then stopped at the fourth door. She tested the handle and the door opened with ease. She pushed it all the way open.

"It's a nice room," she said into her phone, although, she wasn't too sure if her sister was paying attention anymore. She turned on the lights and marveled at the space. "Wow, it's big."

"Really? Are you gonna start decorating today? Lemme go on Pinterest."

Ariana laughed. "Don't get ahead of yourself."

She gazed around the room, starting to picture how she wanted to place the students' desks and her own desk and-

"Flores? You're my new hallmate?"

She stiffened and turned her body slowly.

There, standing right in front of her was Benjamin Suzuki, her sworn enemy, and long-time competitor.

"Geh!"