Chapter 27

"I'm such an idiot." Ben banged his head against the table.

Marco looked up from his coffee and exchanged a glance with Jonathan.

"It's not so bad, really," Jonathan said, trying to lighten his mood.

Ben lifted his head and glared.

"All you said was you think you're in love with her."

"He did say, 'I think', though. That's kind of messed up," Marco added.

Jonathan shot him a pointed look.

"What? She's officially my family now. We've been family for ages, but officially. And I officially don't want a guy to 'think' he's in love with her, I want him to be in love with her."

Ben dropped his head against the table again. "She kissed me and I ran away. I've ignored all her texts and calls."

"She kissed you?" Marco slammed a hand on the table, a wide grin on his face. "What the hell are you waiting for? Go get her."

"What do I say to her? Hey, I think I love you would you be willing to help me figure this out? Thanks."

"In love," Jonathan piped in.

"What?"

"You said you're in love with her. There's a difference, right?"

Ben removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes.

"Ben, you've been pushing these feelings down for the longest time," Jonathan looked at his brother. "Why don't you open those gates and see where it takes you?"

"You know, if you're worried about what might happen, don't be," Marco said, before taking a sip of his coffee. "We'll still love you if you two don't work out. Our friendship isn't going to end just because you and Ariana get together. Unless you do something horrible, then I'll kick your ass."

Ben wiped a hand down his face. "I'd never," he mumbled.

Jonathan scoffed. "I would kick your ass too, just for the record." He reached over and gripped Ben's shoulder.

Ben slowly put his glasses back into place. He held his hands over his mouth and rested his chin on his palms.

"Ben, you know the type of person Ariana is. What she's been through. Do you think she'd be a cage or a foundation?"

Marco looked between the brothers.

"You won't be alone this time, Ben," Jonathan said under his breath. "What's holding you back?"

"Vrooom!" Santiago raced into the dining room, crashing his blue and red Voltron lions onto the dining table.

"Santiago," Marco said sternly.

Santiago glanced at the adults around the table. "What? When's Mami coming home?"

"Later. Esta con tu tia."

"Why didn't I get to go?"

"Why? You don't want to be with your dad?"

Santiago slouched. "But mi tia always has pan dulce."

Marco laughed. "Tu y tu pan dulce. You're just like your tia. Go play in the living room. We'll be in there in a second."

Santiago groaned, but grabbed his lions and walked away.

Marco looked back at Ben, whose eyes were clouded in thought. "Ben?"

"I know what love is." Ben took a breath. "It's finding comfort in each other's presence. It's like a hum where you're both on the same wavelength. It's sharing thoughts in the quietest or chaotic moments of the day, but at that moment it's calm. It's drifting toward each other when there are other people in the room and when it's just the two of you."