Chapter 6

First day of school. The first day of school always brought Ben a new sense of beginning. It was almost like New Year's all over again, except it's August, 105° outside, and he'll be dealing with nervous freshman and returning students who would rather be somewhere else.

New school years used to feel like a fresh start when he was a kid. So, today, he wanted his students to see and know how excited and enthusiastic he felt about the coming school year.

He greeted and shook hands, introduced himself, and reintroduce himself.

As the day wore on, he began to grow tired. But, he would immediately straighten up at the sight of Ariana Flores, who stood directly across the hall and greeted student after student with a never-ending source of energy. "Did she take an espresso shot or something?"

Ben introduced himself for the sixth and final time that day. Man, was he beat.

"Hey, Mr. Suzuki."

Ben looked up from his clipboard resting on his podium. "Luke, I thought that was you when I saw my roster."

Luke Collins had grown a few inches over the summer, now standing a little over Ben's height of 5'7''.

"I'll do a whole lot better this time around, promise."

"I'll take your word for it, Luke. It's just one semester that you have to retake. We can do this. You let me know if there's anything you need help with."

Luke nodded. "I will."

"Are you taking junior-level English too?"

"Yeah, but I have Mrs. Anderson. It would've been cool if I had you twice."

Ben chuckled. "You can't have too much of a good thing." He patted Luke's shoulder. "Get back in there. The welcome assignment is due at the end of class."

Luke walked back to his desk. Ben continued reading his papers and making notes on student name pronunciations he needed to work on, trying his best to push the creeping sense of failure out of his mind. Thankfully, the final bell rang.

"Please turn your assignment in at the table next to the door I'll see you all tomorrow. We'll be starting our first unit so try your best to come prepared. Don't forget to read over the syllabus and come to class with any questions you might have."

Ben watched his students file out of the room "Have a good afternoon."

The last student stepped out of the room and Ben breathed out a sigh of relief. He survived the first day of school, he could only hope his students fared just as well.

After reading some welcome back papers, he decided to pack up and head home. He packed the rest of the papers up and he pulled his messenger bag over his shoulder. He pushed in any remaining chairs and switched the light off as he stepped out.

He glanced at the room across the hall, out of habit, and caught sight of Ariana standing at the filing cabinet. He laughed under his breath. She barely passed the cabinet in height and she was tugging the top drawer, trying to get it open.

"Bested by a metal filing cabinet," Ben said

She jumped and slapped a hand against the cabinet. She turned around, her eyes narrowed instantly.

He stood in the doorway. "Can I come in?"

She made a face. Was she actually pouting? "You can come in."

Ben set his bag down on one of the desks and then met her by the filing cabinet. "I think I had the same one not too long ago." He gripped the handle and with his other hand held the top of the cabinet. "You have to lift up the drawer as your opening it." He strained, but the drawer began to budge. It's slowly rolled out of the cabinet.