Chapter 10

Ariana's last class of the day lined up near the door. "Make sure you have all your stuff. You'll be dismissed from the library."

Ariana grabbed her things. "Marcela, por favor, lead the way."

Her world history students slowly exited the room, turned left, and walked in the direction of the Media Center. They walked through the double doors.

Ariana took in a deep breath, relishing the smell of bound books and plastic. She greeted Mrs. Bennett, the librarian, and ushered her students to the square tables set beside the fiction section.

"Our first seminar and discussion warrant a change of scenery. Please take out your study guides and notes. You'll be writing stuff down."

Ariana pulled out a stack of papers and held them to her chest. "We're wrapping up this unit with one final text to go over." She began to pass the papers around. "These are yours to write on."

Ariana instructed them to read silently to themselves and mark which lines resonated with them. Then they were to read the text out loud to their small group and share the lines.

The fifty-minute class time sped by.

"Bye, Ms. Flores."

"Have a good afternoon. Don't forget your assignment is to come up with three thesis statements for the prompts in your study guide."

Ariana gathered up her supplies. She stopped by the checkout desk. Mrs. Bennett smiled at her. "Anything I can do for you, Ms. Flores?"

"Yes, actually. Is the library available during 4th period anytime this week?"

Mrs. Bennett chuckled. "You mean either Thursday or Friday? It is Wednesday already."

Ariana avoided her gaze, inwardly frustrated with her last-minute planning."Yup."

Mrs. Bennett shook her head, but her expression remained positive. She opened her schedule book. Her finger slid across the calendar. "You're lucky. 4th period is available on Friday. Would you like to reserve the space?"

"Yes, please."

Mrs. Bennett scribbled Ariana's name into the calendar. "You'll be sharing the space with Mr. Suzuki. I hope that's okay."

Ariana refrained from groaning. "It's fine."

"Good. I'll see you then."

Ariana stepped away from the checkout desk and headed back to her classroom. She still had to polish up the test for both her world history and American government classes

# # #

The fresh printouts felt warm against her chest. Her head was down, checking the printouts when two warm hands grabbed her by the arms.

"Flores."

She jumped, looking up at Ben's tired expression. His eyebrows came together to give him a stern look.

Her brows rose. "Ugh, you look terrible."

He dropped his hands. "Hello, to you too." He took his glasses off and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "It's the new glasses. They're giving me a killer headache. I just want a nap."

"You look like you could use one," she retorted.

He glared and put his glasses back on. "What do you have there that's got you so distracted?"

She held the papers to her chest. "You know, history stuff."

He rubbed the back of his neck. "Right, history stuff." He walked around her and went back to wherever he was headed to.