Chapter 5

With a tired sigh, Ariana dropped her purse down on the counter. She looked around her apartment. Liam's car was already parked in the parking lot, which was odd for a Monday. He usually came home later.

She walked into the bedroom. "What are you doing?"

Liam was beside the bed. A duffle bag was set on the bed and he was stuffing it with his clothes.

"Did something happen?" He had packed a lot of clothes. Like he was going away for a few days.

He shook his head. "I'm leaving."

"What?"

He looked at her, his expression was grim. "I'm leaving, Ariana."

"Why?" She knew he hated last-minute trips. "Where are you going?"

He let out a frustrated sigh. "I'm leaving you, Ariana. This is over." He stuffed the last of his clothes into the duffle bag and walked out of the room."

"What? Liam." She followed him out of the room. "Why? I don't understand."

He tossed the duffel bag at the door and picked up some boxes that were resting beside the door. She hadn't noticed them when she came in.

He moved around the room, gathering his things.

"Liam, why? I thought we were okay."

He scoffed. "Ariana, I don't want to have to compete with your work again. I hardly see you." He strode into the bedroom. She could hear him rummaging over the dresser. He returned to the front room and dropped the boxes by the door.

"My schedule will get easier. Last year was my first year teaching. That's stressful enough. It'll get better."

He shook his head. He grabbed his mail from the counter and tossed it haphazardly into a box.

"This isn't just about work, is it?" Ariana chanced.

Liam's eyes lingered on the door.

"Why didn't you tell me? We could've done something. We can still do something." She met him at the door, grasping his arm. "What can we do?"

"That's the thing. I don't want to. Ariana," he sounded frustrated. "I don't want to be with you anymore."

She dropped her hand. "Is there someone else?"

He shook his head. "I'd never do that to you."

She held her arms tightly, biting her lip to keep her tears away.

Liam placed the spare key on the short table by the door. "I'll call you when I can come back for bigger stuff."

She simply nodded.

Then, he was gone.

# # #

Ariana sat on her mother's couch, eating a bowl of cookies. "He packed his clothes, took some boxes, and just left," she told Cristina, retelling the events from the other night.

Cristina wrapped an arm around her shoulder. "Ari, I'm so sorry. Did he say why he was breaking up with you?"

Ariana shrugged. "He just said he doesn't want to be with me anymore."

Cristina rested her head on Ariana's shoulder. Ariana sniffled.

Their mom rushed through the room. "Ariana, don't eat cookies. We're about to have breakfast." She snatched the bowl out of her hands. "Why are you crying?"

"Mom, I -"

The doorbell rang.

"They're here. Ariana, get the door. Cristina come help in the kitchen."