Chapter 6 - The Rainbow Gardens

OoOoO  

With a gentle clink of china, Jatheryn set his cup of black tea down on its saucer. He had never particularly enjoyed tea, but a proper Vaelonese breakfast simply wasn't complete without it. After finishing an entire bottle of rose wine between himself and his grandfather during the Crowning Day ball last night, Jatheryn would have been just as happy to settle for a simple glass of water. The cheerful twittering of finches in the garden outside was just a tad too loud to Jatheryn's hyper-sensitive hearing, and he winced in the direction of the sunny patio.

"Personally, I thought Lady Kilgorin's snub of that Erendor girl was entirely uncalled for," Rosarin was saying in her usual gravelly croak. As always, the servants were keeping her drink bottomless. "Just because the Kilgorins have produced yet another Obad in this generation does not give them the right to impugn the royal stewards."

"Everyone impugns the Erendors."

Randir, Tyene's husband, shrugged, reaching past Jatheryn for the sliced grapefruit. His strawberry-blonde hair and sapphire-blue eyes easily marked him as a Shakian by birth—traits which both of his and Tyene's sons had inherited.

Rosarin huffed. "Yes, well, Goran has been very fortunate that the Amenthis line has remained unbroken for nigh on a century, even if the Erendors have not."

"Did you see Gendrew and Alais prancing around like a pair of peacocks last night?" Tyene exclaimed. The morning sunlight in the dining room caught the early signs of crows' feet around her dark eyes. "You'd think they were the ones pregnant with an Amenthis heir!"

"In a removed sort of way, they are, since Gwynnis is their daughter." Awenis couldn't help but giggle. "I wonder if this time it will be a princess?"

Jalborn frowned slightly at Tyene, un-tucking the embroidered napkin from his collar and placing it beside his cleared breakfast plate. A servant sprang forward to take the used dishes away to the kitchen, making way for the head of the Saurivic family to properly savor his tea.

"Gendrew is proud of his grandchildren, Prince Hithon and the prince or princess to be. What grandfather would not be? I certainly am."

All four of the Saurivic youths at the table grinned, taking their grandfather's words to heart as though they were privately addressed to each of them. Jatheryn in particular treasured Jalborn's praise as if it were a rare jewel, tucking it away in his secret treasure trove of kind words and friendly exchanges.

Thirteen-year-old Myles decided to spoil the moment in typical youngest-cousin fashion. Blue eyes sparkling with gleeful mischief overtop of his button nose, Myles called across the table at Awenis.

"Lord Gendrew wasn't the only one prancing at the ball. Awenis, you danced an awful lot with Darenel Tremaris. Did he keep asking you, or did you keep asking him?"

Jatheryn waited for Awenis to dissolve in a mess of flushed cheeks and stammered protests, as she always did when confronted with her social escapades. He was surprised when Awenis casually adjusted the sleeve of her powder-blue summer gown, a dreamy half-smile tugging at the corner of her mouth.

"Both, and we had a lovely time. He's a very good dancer, and his style fits mine wonderfully well. You know what I mean, Mother; how when I first started dancing lessons you told me that you can tell when you've found an ideal partner?"

"I do."

Rosarin's smile was rather tighter than usual. She and Jahaelis exchanged a look that made Jatheryn wonder. Awenis didn't seem to notice or care, and went back to cheerfully sprinkling sugar on her strawberries.