Chapter 17 - Into the Unknown

OoOoO

After Kiiss's visit, Vinie and the others laid low on Nadathan and Sula's jaliboot for the next two days. Their stock of flatbread ran out, forcing Bakko and Sula to foray out into the Moaanese markets to buy more food. Vinie and Gideo had not been happy to be left behind on the boat, but Bakko rightly pointed out that of the three of them he was the least recognizable.

It wasn't until the third day that Kiiss returned. By this time everyone was so stir crazy that they could have almost welcomed the shifty art merchant. Kiiss blew into the cabin in a swirl of dusky yellow wraps and bronze jewelry. Vinie thought she brought to mind a large, rather smug canary.

"When you told us to wait here, we thought you meant for a day, not three," Sula grumbled, arms folded and fingers drumming on the thin fabric of her tunic.

Kiiss was nonplused. "My dear Easterner, you have much to learn of organization. One does not simply harbor fugitives without due preparation. Now then, how soon can you be ready to leave?"

"Leave?" Vinie asked. Her eyes still burned slightly from the bright light when Kiiss had opened the cabin door. Staying hidden inside the jaliboot had done little for her mood, or anyone else's.

"Did I stutter? Come now Vinie, you can hardly expect to conduct a rebellion when you can scarcely stick your nose outside for fear of arrest. The whole of Moaan is still in an uproar looking for the five of you. If you really are serious about this little venture of yours, you need to be closer to the rest of the world, especially the capital. I happen to have just the place for you, my dear miscreants, in Falerik."

Immediately there were protests.

"What about our boat?" Nadathan demanded.

"How will people even know to find us in Falerik?"

"Why on this good earth would we want to be closer to Amenthere? Or the haunted forest for that matter?!"

"What good will Falerik do us? The people are here, in Moaan?"

Rather than answer any of the flurry of questions being flung at her, Kiiss merely stood with her arms crossed, wearing an infuriatingly smug smile. When no further information was forthcoming, one by one the rest of them began to fall quiet. Only when the entire cabin lapsed into terse silence did Kiiss speak again.

"Your boats will be held in trust for you by my people, to use for our trade ventures so long as you are inland. Consider them collateral in exchange for my help." Before Vinie, Gideo, Nadathan, and Sula could start shouting again, she ploughed onward. "Only people whom you want to be found by will be able to seek you out in Falerik, because I will teach you how to disseminate information by 'informal channels'. You want to be closer to Amenthere because if you're going to challenge a dynasty, you need to start by learning how the larger world works. And no, staying in Moaan is not possible, not unless your goals include being arrested. Any more questions?"

"Yes," Nadathan said. "What else do you want from us that you haven't seen fit to mention yet?"

Kiiss had the gall to look insulted. "Such miserly attitudes! I think I am being more than slightly over-generous as far as you people are concerned. There is, however, one more thing. It's hardly an imposition though, seeing as it provides you with both information and a new skill set."

"Ugh, just come out and say it. What do you want?" Vinie's rather limited supply of patience was quickly burning low. Kiiss seemed to be good at burning her particular candle from both ends.