Chapter 10 - Perfect Never Lasts

OoOoO

A fly buzzed lazily through a sunbeam where it fell across the pages of Jatheryn's book. The little insect continued its circuit around the study, seeming almost curious. Finally, it settled on one of the oaken wall panels and became lost in the dark patterns of stained wood. Rubbing its little hands together gleefully, the fly paid no mind to the higher intellectual pursuits of the study's other three occupants.

Jatheryn and Awenis sat at a long table side by side, their handwritten notes and heavy texts starting to spread and merge together in the middle. The pages bearing Awenis's handwriting were an endless stream of graceful, looping swirls and lines. Jatheryn's notes stood as regimented as soldiers on the page, each letter perfectly at attention and meticulously dotted or crossed. Both sat with their quills hanging in midair beneath their chins, listening intently to their tutor.

"It is a common misconception among the common folk that the Amenthis Three were biological siblings," Mistress Morendial was saying, her half-moon glasses resting precariously on the end of her nose. "First King Amenthis, Lady Aryna, and Lord Anders were in fact completely unrelated. In his youth, Amenthis was a wanderer with a taste for adventure, as you well know. It was in his travels that he met both Aryna and Anders for the first time. Aryna hailed from the northern reaches of what was to become Goran; deep within the Night Forest, to be precise. Anders likewise was born on the eastern coast. Amenthis was the one who first inspired the other two to unite humankind and banish the ancient monsters of the land. Awenis, would you be so kind as to tell me how this was accomplished?"

Awenis perked up so suddenly that Jatheryn wondered if she'd been daydreaming. Thumbing the infinity ring on her index finger, she answered promptly enough to save herself from a lecture.

"They enlisted the help of the Obads, and through their magic defeated the world's demons."

Mistress Morendial frowned, but nodded. She had been giving Jatheryn and Awenis their educations since they were old enough to talk, and likely knew them better than even Jahaelis and Rosarin. The tall, silver-haired matron was knowledgeable on a range of subjects, spotting daydreaming being her primary major. For the time being she let her pupil escape with a narrow-eyed warning.

"Correct, and Jatheryn, can you tell me the significance of this partnership?"

Jatheryn sat up even straighter to answer, and became aware of his sister's slouching by comparison in her chair. Gently he pressed his foot overtop of hers beneath the table. It wasn't like Awenis to be distracted during their lessons.

"It was the beginning of the bond between the Order of Obads and the throne of Goran. The first Obads were little more than Shamans, Charmers, Wise Women, and Elders. However, the Obads were able to talk to the creatures of old, and manipulate the world around them in ways their ordinary counterparts could not. Amenthis, Aryna, and Anders convinced the Obads that the world needed to be made safe for humankind to blossom. Together with their armies, the Amenthis Three raised and the Obads, they cleared the land of danger. The next solstice Amenthis was crowned First King, and Goran was born."

Mistress Morendial's satisfaction was plain to see. Jatheryn loved his studies for many reasons, but chief among them was they provided a rare opportunity for personal success.

"Excellent. Now as you said, Amenthis was crowned First King and ruled over Goran as a whole. However, there was a need for more regional governance as well. Therefore, Aryna returned to her homeland in the north, where she became the first Sei of the North. Anders likewise withdrew to the east after the Founding Wars, taking the title of Wal of the East. Now these titles have since fallen out of use..."

The Book of Terrus: The Ghosts of GoranOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara