0.2 ; Party Prelude

Florence smoothed the front of her dress out as she examined the way the royal purple cocktail dress fit. It hugged her chest, cinched at her waist, and then clung to her thighs in a way that showed off her stellar figure while still being classy.

She sighed, her gift had been going haywire recently. Her mind was consumed by a void - a big gaping hole of black confusion. Normally, when her gift sensed something off she could see what was going to happen, but this time - nothing.

She swallowed her fear and grabbed her pearlescent clutch, swinging it over her exposed shoulder. She was observing herself in the mirror once more, frustrated at herself for not being able to see the problem when her phone blared at her.

She turned her head to the right sharply, seeing Alice Cullen's name pop up next to a ringing phone icon. Florence rolled her eyes; this had been the twenty-second time the ethereal girl had called her in the past hour. She called roughly every three minutes - just to be sure that Florence was still coming.

This time, Florence picked up the small flip phone and put it to her ear, "Yes Alice, I'm still coming."

"Yeah, I know. I saw your dress," Alice said, "but I would've worn heels with it."

"Oh, thanks," Florence laughed, "so is there any particular reason you called? You know - besides to critique my fashion sense?"

"Uh - yea," Alice said in a concerned tone, "I don't think the party is going to go as we planned."

Florence sat down on her cream papasan chair in the corner of her bedroom, shoving on her nude colored flats as she spoke into the phone, "What? Did you forget something? Do you guys need me to pick something up on my way?"

"No, no, nothing like that," Alice started, "I'm actually mildly offended you thought the ultimate party planner, more commonly known as me, would forget something."

"Then what?" Florence's eyebrows furrowed together in confusion as the tension filled silence consumed her ear.

"I-I think something bad is going to happen tonight, Flor."

Florence sighed, "Yeah, I was dreading you'd say that."

"Your gift, too?" Alice asked.

"Unfortunately," Florence started, putting her hand to her forehead worriedly, "It's been going insane since you invited me to the party. Can you - can you see what it is?"

"Nothing," Alice cried out, "I've been concentrating for the past two hours trying to find out and - well - nothing."

"Me too," Florence stated, "Alice?"

"Yea?"

"I'm scared."

"Me too."

AN:
I'm so freaking sorry it's taken so long to get this out. My schedule really has been crazy, but I'm hoping to update quite a bit in the next two weeks, so please stay tuned. I'm so happy for whomever has stayed with this story for so long. I love telling Florence's stories, and I hope y'all love reading them. Happy Holidays!

word count - 493
song to listen to ; Bad Moon Rising (cover) by Mourning Ritual ft. Peter Dreimanis