1.2 ; Volturi Vengeance

EDWARD'S hand refused to leave Bella's as Jane led the group of four down randomly placed, dimly lit alleyways

EDWARD'S hand refused to leave Bella's as Jane led the group of four down randomly placed, dimly lit alleyways. She had obviously chosen the most convoluted way possible to get to her headquarters. Their pace was quite brisk as Alice, Florence, and Houston created a barrier between Edward and Bella and the rear of the group - Felix and Demetri.

Contrary to popular opinion, Jane was not Florence's most feared member of the Volturi. In fact, Florence's own powers kind of counteracted her's for the most part, as she had a higher pain tolerance than even the strongest of vampires due to her maternal instincts - that tolerance amplified even more when someone she cared for was in immediate danger.

No, her most worrisome match up was, in fact, not currently with the group. Jane's brother, Alec, was Florence's worst nightmare. Sure, Alec had had a long term crush on Florence since their paths happened to cross in Venice back in the 1920's, but his loyalty had to first lay to the Volturi - regardless of his own selfish emotions.

Alec's powers were an anomaly; he had the ability to take away a person's senses, rendering them completely useless. He had only used his power on her once, when she tried to leave their hotel alone, but once was quite enough and she had no intentions of being in that situation again.

Before Florence knew it, her mind was snapped away from her previous thoughts about Alec as Jane hopped down into a manhole that led to a drain, seemingly the way to reach the Volturi Headquarters.

Alice was next to jump, being careful to not make Jane wait too long, as she gracefully leapt down and caught her footing.

Bella looked into the black abyss hesitantly before Edward gave her a soft nudge forward, "Alice will catch you, don't worry."

With that, he grabbed her wrists to dangle her down into the hole, trying to lessen the amount of fall time she had to endure before he gently let go of his grip and let her fall into Alice's expecting arms. Edward jumped down next, immediately embracing Bella in a protective hug before the couple turned their attention to the hole in the ceiling where the light fled through the tunnel.

Florence watched Houston jump down before she turned back and sent a wink to Felix and Demetri playfully before taking the leap herself. It was only a matter of seconds before the group was reunited with Felix and Demetri, and Jane set off down the tunnel without a worry.

Awaiting the group at the end of the tunnel was a folding iron elevator which opened itself after Jane pressed the call button quite eagerly.

The group obediently stepped into the elevator, waiting for the doors to close in an uncomfortable silence. The tension was almost a physical entity in the air.

The only reason the tension eased up was because the elevator doors opened to reveal an elaborate lobby decked out with unsuspecting tourists and vampire tour guides that were marveling at the old world charm the Volturi Headquarters had captured and preserved from the quattrocento - the hight of the Renaissance's influence in Italy.

The group's steps were evasive as they maneuvered around the touring groups to reach the end of the seemingly never-ending corridor. They were faced with towering white marble double doors which parted to reveal the three ancients: Aro, Marcus, and Caius.

All three of the elder vampires were standing attentively as the door opened, abandoning their thrones at the top of the marble staircase in the rather large and circular grandiose room. Florence made sure to take notice of the six other Volturi guards that were stationed periodically against the walls, making eye contact for a little too long at one in particular before breaking the eye contact quickly.

Aro, the jester-like man in the center, was the one to greet the group first, reaching out towards Edward like the two were old friends and grasping his hand, not out of greeting - like most might think - but so he could use his gifts, and all the vampires knew that.

"What a happy surprise!" Aro eccentrically belted out, turning his eyes briefly towards Bella before fixating his eyes back on Edward, still grasping his hand in thought, "Bella is alive after all! Isn't that wonderful?"

His question was obviously directed towards his two equals, but Caius and Marcus only gave out nonchalant grunts in response, seemingly disinterested.

Aro intently looked into Edward's eyes as he spoke Edwards past thoughts aloud, "Her blood appeals to you so much it makes me thirsty."

Aro menacingly laughed out before continuing his thought, "How can you stand to be so close to her?"

Uncomfortably, Edward barely uttered out, "It is not without great effort."

"I can see that," Aro laughed again like a madman.

Bella glanced questioningly at Edward before he explained, "One touch and Aro can see every thought, every memory, every moment someone has had in their entire life."

Aro, in his true faux-humble fashion shrugged his shoulders, "You're quite the telepath yourself, Edward. Though you can't seem to read Bella's thoughts. How interesting."

He releases Edward's hand before turning to Bella hesitantly, "I would like to see if you are an exception to my gifts as well."

Bella is hesitant, weighing her options and wondering if she had a choice in the matter, but Aro laughed at her hesitance and held his hand out farther to meet Bella's shaky one.

Moments pass before Aro's face turns sour, "Interesting."

Aro puts that endeavor on the back burner before turning his attention to Florence, someone he hadn't been in the presence of in quite a while, "My is this a delight. Look Alec! Your fling is here to see you."

Florence's shoulders tense up as Aro advances on her, handing his hand out to the girl, "Let's see if you've become attached enough to our little human here to copy her powers, hm?"

Aro held his hand out and Florence wasted no time in grasping his hand, unafraid. She knew that she hadn't been able to spend enough time with Bella to recreate her powers just yet, but she had nothing to hide from the man, "Yes, this girl does look quite a bit like you, huh?"

Aro turned to Houston in thought, "Alec, did you know that your gorgeous old flame had a ravishing daughter?"

***

[UNEDITED]

[word count - 1,084]

[august 3, 2018]

[vote, comment, follow.]