20. Strength

I should have seen it coming, but blame my heart for overriding my head. As soon as math ended, Alex was gone without a word. This was yet another slap in the face with a bucket of ice cold water for me. It sucked, to say the least.

If Alex just wanted to forget it ever happened, then that was fine. Or, at least, that’s what I tried to convince myself to think.

I picked up my books, irritated that I hadn’t gotten to put some of them in my locker because of my confrontation with Courtney and Tina.

My next class was Biology; at least I’d get to see Jenna now. All I wanted was her dependability.

The closeness of the crowd would take some getting used to, but I found it less jarring than it was this morning. A step forward, fortunately.

I slipped into Biology, slightly irritated by the fact that Jenna wasn’t there yet, but I was sure she’d show up at some point. After all, I was early, which was very rare.

“What do you and Tina have in common?” Morgan asked, taking Jenna’s seat and staring at me intently.

“I don’t know. Bad taste in guys?” I joked, though I wasn’t sure if I was.

Morgan rolled her eyes and sighed, “No. Drake.”

The word hung in the air, and Morgan kept her emerald gaze on me expectantly. My eyebrows creased, pushing together as I struggled to find the meaning behind her words. Finally, I gave up.

“Yeah, I don’t have any idea what you’re talking about.”

“My god, you’re lucky to have me as a friend,” She heaved a sigh. “He’s definitely into you.”

I couldn’t resist the deadpan look that crossed my face, quite visibly, apparently.

“Do not give me that look, baby girl.”

“Yeah, well, forgive me for not believing you.”

Fire sparked in her eyes, and I bit down on my tongue. Copper bloomed in my mouth and a flinched.

“Have I ever lied to you before?” She asked, pronouncing each word slowly, acid drenching each separate syllable.

My throat dried up, keeping the words stuck there. Ways to diffuse the situation raced through my mind, but they all seemed insincere, or not good enough.

“I- I just meant that it’s hard to believe because of how he’s been acting,” I amended, albeit weakly.

Lips pressed tightly together, Morgan inclined her head stiffly. I hoped that meant she accepted my correction.

“It’s simple,” She paused, the light of mischief charming her face, “You just have to make him jealous.”

Quite frankly, I didn’t know what to say. Normally I’d think it was a bad idea, because it never worked out perfectly in books or movies, but my conscience didn’t protest. Come to think of it, my conscience never really had anything to say.

“You say that like it’s so easy, but who would really do that?” Hesitance rang clear in my voice, making me doubt the idea even more.

Morgan flicked her hair, moving to stand, her expression bored, “You either want him, or you don’t.”

I bit my lip as she strode away, confidence oozing out of everything about her.

No, I couldn’t just use someone to get Drake. It wasn’t right, and I wouldn’t stand for it. Maybe Morgan thought it was a good idea, and could pull it off, but I wasn’t Morgan, didn’t have her charisma, sureness or looks. I definitely did not have her popularity. Anyway, I had worse things to worry about than a boy problem.