Chapter Two

Dad and Agilbert spent the next hour explaining to me about Ilvermorny, the school for wizards, and how I was apparently one of them.

A wizard.

It felt weird to even think. I liked a good story, but that's where wizards belonged: stories. Not in my living room, turning my dad's hair colors.

Although, I had to admit, it was nice to finally have some version of an explanation for all the weird things that always happened to me. Still, I would've liked an answer that fit a little better with my perception of reality.

I should've learned by now. Rule One of Science: You don't know anything.

Eventually, we came around to the real talking point: Would I be attending Ilvermorny?

"It's important for you to get a magical education," said Agilbert.

I looked at my dad, thinking he would put in his two-cents worth, but he stayed quiet. That meant he agreed with Agilbert, although grudgingly.

"Okay, well, I'm not really interested in dropping everything to go to a boarding school in Massachusetts..." I started.

"Miss Stark, it is vital that you learn how to control your powers. Otherwise these strange, uncontrollable events will get worse and more frequent," Agilbert argued.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. We'd been talking so long I was almost completely dry.

"I think I could probably get a handle on this by myself, though," I said. "I mean, today wasn't my best moment, but it's the first problem I've had in a while. I know nerves cause the incidents, so I can learn to control my nerves and I'll be fine."

"Don't you want to learn to use your powers? To be better than fine?"

"I mean, yeah, that'd be cool, but I'm not willing to quit school and the path I'm on now to go to magic school in Massachusetts. Everything in my life would be the same, but without the physics and calc classes to look forward to."

Agilbert paused to think, and I glanced at my dad. He hadn't said anything in a while, which was rare for him, and it looked like he was having an argument in his head.

"I think I might have a solution," Agilbert finally said. "Would you give me just a moment?"

I nodded, and he disappeared. Like, literally there one minute, gone the next. I just shook my head. I was too tired for this crap.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I demanded, turning to my dad. Now that we were alone, I was going to get some answers. Agilbert said people normally started school at eleven, but I was fifteen. Why hadn't I heard about this earlier?

"I wasn't going to send you away to magic school when you were eleven. It's hours away, and you don't get a normal education at these schools. It was and still is more important to learn things like science."

"You could've at least told me about it!" I protested.

"You didn't need to know. There wasn't going to be a debate, so when they sent a letter I told them you weren't interested."

My mouth dropped open. "Dad! Are you kidding me?"

"I didn't want you disappearing to a world where science is taboo."

I gave him a look. "Dad. I would've been less interested in all this then than I am now. I was obsessed with the idea of becoming the next Tony Stark when I was eleven! I literally only wanted to do everything you did, exactly how you did it!"

"And now?"

"Now I'm smart enough to know I'm not you. And I can't and don't want to do everything you've done, exactly how you've done it."