Chapter Six

"This is perfect!" yelled Lee as I sat down next to him and across from Fred and George.

"Welcome to the best house!" Fred and George agreed.

I smiled. "We're gonna destroy the other houses for the House Cup."

"That's the spirit!"

We quieted back down as the Sorting continued. I watched for Cassidy, and she ended up in Ravenclaw. She gave me a little wave as she headed to her table, and I smiled. It would be nice to have a friend who liked science, even if she was a freshman.

Once each new student sat on the stool and got sorted, Flitwick picked up the hat and stool and carried it out of the hall.

I heard whispering and noticed everyone looking at a boy and a girl coming in late, but before I could ask my new friends who it was, Professor Dumbledore stood to speak.

"Welcome!" he called, spreading his arms wide. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast...

"As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts express, our school is presently playing host to some of the dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business."

He paused, and I could tell he didn't approve. Good to know crazy demon creatures weren't just accepted as normal here after all.

"They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds, and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission," Dumbledore continued. "Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises- or even Invisibility Cloaks."

"That's a thing?" I whispered to Lee.

"Yeah, they're wicked cool."

I nodded. I'd have to find one of those at some point. Probably just cloaking tech (no pun intended), but still.

"It is not in the nature of a dementor to understand pleading or excuses," continued Dumbledore grimly. "I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the dementors.

"On a happier note, I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

Dumbledore paused and we all took the opportunity to clap. Most people weren't very enthusiastic, but this guy beat the dementor and comforted me with chocolate as a cure-all, so I was applauding with my heart and soul.

"As to our second new appointment," Dumbledore continued, "Well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this job in addition to his gamekeeping duties."

With this announcement the whole hall exploded with cheering. I'd met Hagrid, and he seemed like a super cool guy, so I also threw everything I had into this round of applause with the rest of the school.

Once everything died down, Dumbledore concluded his announcements.

"Well, I think that's everything of importance," he said. "Let the feast begin!"

Suddenly, the plates and goblets (literal golden goblets) all filled with food and drink.

"Woah! This is so much better than high school cafeteria food," I said, reaching to put some mashed potatoes on my plate. That was my favorite food.