Chapter Thirteen

For half a second I didn't think my call would connect. I'd done something wrong, or magic did more than create segfaults, and I'd be back at square one. But then the ringing dial tone started, and despite the fact that I was about to get a panicked rant I couldn't help doing a little victory dance.

After an agonizingly long wait, my dad finally picked up. I was bracing myself for an angry rant, but I wasn't ready for the relief I would feel when I finally heard his voice again. It had been a long time since I'd gotten to talk to my dad.

"Alexa? Thank God! I got your email and Strange said you were fine, but when I still didn't hear from you for so long I thought..." His voice broke off, and I actually had to work to hold back tears. I was expecting to have to defend my reasoning for not calling; I didn't realize how badly I would miss talking to my dad.

After a few minutes of explaining, my dad and I both calmed down. We talked for almost another hour, just catching up on everything that had happened since I left. I probably could've talked to him until it was time for astronomy, but unfortunately, I had other classes to go to sooner.

I was so tempted to skip DADA, and if it had been anyone but Professor Lupin, I probably would have. Still, I talked to my dad for the entire walk to class, and then promised to call him back after dinner.

I cruised through afternoon classes, finally ending my day in Arithmancy. Which, as it happened to work out, was the room we were holding our first WWHRS meeting in today.

Professor Vector gave me the room, and told me to come get her if I needed anything. I sat on a desk at the front and waited for everyone to show up; I figured it could be a while since the castle was so big.

With everything going on, I hadn't had much time to plan exactly what we were doing. My plan now was to just wing it and get more structured club meetings happening next week.

I mean, I'd first suggested the idea as a joke, so I thought I was doing pretty good for just throwing something together.

"Alexa!" I looked over to see a very excited Cassidy skipping through the door with her friends Lillie and Calvin in tow.

"Hey Cassidy! And Calvin and Lillie, I'm glad you decided to come." Calvin and Lillie both seemed a little more cautious than Cassidy, but they smiled at me anyway.

Next through the door was Lee. Apparently none of our other friends changed their minds about wanting to learn science, but Lee was super excited and I was glad to have one person from my peer group with me.

Finally Hermione came in, looking a little frazzled.

"Alexa! I'm sorry I was slow getting here, I've just had so much to do this year..."

"Hey, don't worry about it. You're actually perfectly on time, anyway." Hermione looked relieved, sinking into a seat near the front.

I looked around. Six people wasn't bad, especially to get started.

"Ok, well, I think the first thing we should do is—"

Before I could get any further, the door flew open again. A pack of people was coming into the room, led by a smiling David.

"Hello Alexa! Sorry we're coming a bit late. It took me some time to round everyone up after our electives," he said. Including David, seven Ravenclaws had joined our group. He'd brought most of his year!