SOL...YWMA [Ch. 22]

shout out to TheColdWriter_....your awesome :-)

Previously: “What’s stopping you from getting this something?” Cory asked. “Because it’s not mine to take,” I replied. “If it’s something that you really want then just wait for it. Or you could ask the person who has it to nicely hand it over,” Cory mused. “Isyss, when will you realize that you can come and talk to me about stuff? I’m just curious as to why you can’t seem to confide in me, since we’re friends,” Cory says. “Why do I feel like you’re hiding something from me?” I asked Cory. “Because I am,” Cory answers. Quentin walks in. “You ready to go?” Quentin asks me. “I’m just going to talk to Courtney,” I announce. “Just hear her out before you start making assumptions, okay?” Cory suggested.   Quentin, Andrea, Brent Daniels, and Cory all sat on the couches and engulfed themselves in conversation. I headed toward Courtney’s office door and knocked. “Come in!” she called through the door. I opened it and walked in.

Chapter 22

I sat in the chair across from her, the desk separating us. She looked uneasy as she continued to type away on her laptop. A silence gathered around us momentarily. “Let me be the first to shatter this awkward silence with an even more awkward topic,” I started. Courtney sighed. She had her shoulder length hair pulled into a ponytail, allowing her light, cinnamon eyes to be better seen. I noticed her bite the corner of her bottom lip while still looking at her laptop screen.

“Let me start by saying that what Sandy said was true. I did ask her,” she explained, getting straight to the point. I frowned deeply. Well, Courtney never was one to bite her tongue, unless of course it wasn’t her business to tell.

“Why? Is she that important to you?” I asked my bestfriend in honest curiosity.  Courtney’s eyebrows jumped along with her shoulders shrugging.

“Time isn’t the only way to make good relationships, Isyss,” she replied. She’s referring to only knowing her for two years, as opposed to knowing me her entire life. “And to answer your first question; I asked her because I knew she’d be here,” she continued.

I laughed in disbelief. “¿Esta bromeanda? So you chose her over me because I decided to follow the career path that was laid out for me?” I asked as complete skepticism.

“No, I asked her because you left and never came back—”

“I’m back now.”

“Yes. Now. You’ve been gone for five years, Isyss. The most we’ve seen of you was billboards, television, and occasionally video chats. So of course I had my doubts on whether or not you’d return,” she tried to make me understand, closing her laptop in the progress and looking at me.

I shook my head in shock. “You know I’d come back for something as big as your wedding,” I protested, getting aggravated that she thinks so little of me. She thinks I’d just shrug off her wedding like it’s no big deal? “Did you honestly think I wouldn’t show up? Even after I told you I would?” I asked her.

She doesn’t speak.

“You did…didn’t you?” I questioned, already knowing the answer.

She still doesn’t speak.

Increible,” I mutter with a shake of my head in disbelief. “You sit here and portray me as a horrible friend when you’re just as worst,” I say coldly before getting up and walking out the door, not wanting to hear any more of it.

I head towards the voice in the living room and look at them. The three on the couch stop talking and look to me. “I take it your conversation didn’t go to well?” Quentin observed.