A mystery

"Nikk, are you sure it's her?" Eirney asked, a hint of doubt in his voice.

In a bookshop across the street, a young girl was arranging magazines on the racks.

"Of course, I am," Nikk nodded, not taking his eyes off the girl. "I always remember faces."

Eirney shrugged, smoothing his curled sandy hair. "I don't know. She seems ordinary to me." He blinked, squinting in the sun. "How could she possibly sneak into the projection?"

A car rushed past them, tearing the dry summer air. Eirn made a noise of annoyance as his curls got tousled again. Nikk didn't move, peering at the girl.

"You think she's one of them?" Eirney lowered his voice and glanced sideways at his friend.

A tense pause.

"That's what I'm going to find out." Nikk looked around the busy street, making sure no one was paying attention to the two men prying at the girl in the window and started toward the bookshop. He heard Eirn trail after him.

Anxiously tugging at the sleeve of his jacket, Nikk approached the entrance. The weather was awfully hot, causing clothes to cling to the body and thoughts move sluggishly slow. If the girl actually was one of them as Eirney said, Nikk was walking straight into a trap. But he couldn't just walk away, right? He needed answers.

Nikk drew a deep breath and pulled the bookshop door open. A billow of cool air from an air conditioner poured onto his face. Oh, pure pleasure. Nikk almost felt as his brain began to work faster.

"Eirn, you-" He tilted his head and stalled off, realizing Eirney wasn't there. Damn, it was a trap?! Nikk whirled around, his muscles tightening, his eyes darting from side to side, searching for an enemy.

But there was no enemy. Eirney apologetically waved to Nikk through the window, still fidgeting outside.

"Coward," Nikk chucked, relaxing, and turned back to the book stands.

He casually strode across the shop and picked up a random tome, pretending to be marveled with its glossy cover. Just pretending. He opened the book, flipped through the pages, seeing nothing of what was written on them.

Needless to say, he watched the girl. The same girl who was sorting out the magazines a few minutes ago and now was several steps away from Nikk, dusting the shelves.

Still blankly staring at the book in his hands, Nikk studied the girl from the corner of his eye. Her wavy, midnight black hair was slightly below her shoulders. She had lively eyes-any girl of her age should have lively eyes-and gentle facial features. Lovely features. She was wearing tight blue jeans and a yellow t-shirt with a badge saying...

"How can I help you?" a ginger-haired 'Sophia' stood in front of Nikk.

"Um..." He gawked at the Sophia-badged salesclerk, confused. "I was looking for... a history book." Nikk shut the volume he was holding and glanced at the title. 'Everything about gardening and vegetable growing'. Yes, a history indeed. He raised his eyes back to Sophia, "Where is a history section?"

The ginger-haired salesclerk parted her lips in a smile, showing her white teeth. "Over there," she twittered and, to Nikk's surprise, pointed right at the girl he was secretly spying on. "Anya can find you anything."

As Anya heard her name, she craned her neck to look at who was asking. Her eyes ran over Nikk without a glint of interest as she came closer. She didn't recognize him.

"What book do you need?" she asked, her tone friendly, but indifferent.

"The Book of Fates," Nikk blurted out without thinking.

"The book of fates?" Anya echoed and met his eyes. Nikk could see her mind was occupied with some distant thoughts, so she practically looked through him. A second later she lowered her gaze, embarrassed. "Hm, sorry, I don't remember such a book in the history section. Who's the author?"

"I have no idea, unfortunately," Nikk shrugged with one shoulder, still trying to spot any spark in her eyes. Nothing.

In the street, Eirney motioned to Nikk and tapped on his wrist. It's time to go. We're late. Eirn's tall slender figure drew the attention of an old woman choosing postcards near the window. The woman arched her eyebrows at him and gestured at a clock on the wall. Caught off guard, Eirn nodded to the woman, then cast Nikk an angry glance and deliberately headed toward the main avenue.

"If you want, we can order the book online," Sophia suggested, not quitting her attempts to satisfy the potential buyer. "The book will be here within a couple of days."

"No, thanks. Another time." Nikk shoved the book about gardening into her hands, inwardly cursing Eirn, and hurried outside. On his way, he glimpsed at Anya once again. She had already forgotten about him and got back to her work.

"Goodbye," Nikk heard Sophia's sugary voice the moment he stepped back into the suffocating air of the street.

In several strides, Nikk reached Eirney, who was now jogging along the street, munching and toying with a bag of chocolate candies in his hand. The fair-haired friend flicked his inquiring eyes to Nikk.

"My sister says you eat too much sugar," Nikk said, looking straight ahead. "She's right."

Eirn snorted. "Don't worry, if my teeth fall out, I won't ask you to chew my food." Yet, he hid the candies into his pocket.

They walked in silence for a few minutes. Nikk mulled over the memory of Anya. Who the hell was she? How could she fail to recognize him? Probably Eirn was right, and it wasn't her in that projection... No, it was her. It was definitely her. Nikk just needed another chance to see her and figure everything out.

"So? Will you tell me anything or should I guess?" Eirn sounded a little offended.

"Her name's Anya." Nikk said matter-of-factly.

"That's all?"

"That's all."

"No 'Oh, she's so beautiful!' or 'Oh, she's so ugly!'? Is she a human or not?"

Nikk licked his dry lips and vaguely shrugged, feinting nonchalance. "Yes, she is just an ordinary human. Or an extraordinary actress."