The legend of chaos

After the sparring with Eirney, Nikk returned to the main hall of Kelas. Not a single person was there at this time—according to the clock, it was almost midnight. The lights were off; only the dim lanterns behind the green plants on the walls shooed the shadows away.

Nikk took the stairs to the second floor, approached one of the doors and stopped in hesitation.

What am I doing here?

The concern coiled inside Nikk. Or, it wasn't concern now? It was... exhilaration.

What am I doing?

He took a deep breath. He knocked on the door.

There was an utter silence in the room at first, but then someone's soft footsteps were heard, and the door slowly opened.

"Oh, Nikk... Hey," yet half-asleep, Anya gave him a faint smile as she straightened the fluffy bathrobe she was wearing. Her onyx black hair was in disarray, framing her face gently.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up," Nikk mumbled sheepishly, scratching his neck. Perhaps, coming here wasn't a good idea after all. "I just wanted to know how you're doing in a new place."

"Yes... No. I mean, that's fine. I wasn't really sleeping." She tilted her head from side to side once, shaking the slumber off, and stepped aside. "Come in."

Nikk entered the room. The forest on the walls was obscured with shades of the night that conquered every last corner, and the chilling wind raked through the tree branches.

"Do you like the interior?" he asked incredulously. Standing in the room was as spooky as being in the real woods during the moonless night.

"It's... refreshing," Anya shrugged with one shoulder, sitting on the bed. "But to tell the truth, I'd love it to be a little bit warmer."

"Air conditioners adjust to the picture, and the picture adjusts to the time," Nikk explained quickly.

Another gust of cool air rose gooseflesh on his arms. It wasn't just refreshing—it was freezing cold! How could Amarillis have failed to mention how the system worked? Nikk thought he'd give Rill a good scolding the next time he saw her, but now...

He pressed the flat of his hand against the wall, closing his eyes, imagining the tender sun warming the skin.

The landscape started to transform. The tree silhouettes slowly faded away, replaced with the twilight sky illuminating the room with the arrows of sunrays.

"I shouldn't be awestruck, should I?" Anya let out a blow of astonishment at the sight of the scarlet clouds leisurely floating around them.

"As you wish," Nikk smiled.

He couldn't help admiring the way how fascinated Anya was with everything he considered dull, ordinary and boring. Her eyes were shining with pure joy. Her gaze held contagious fire that children usually lose at an early age as they face the reality, as they realize they have the entire world to fight with.

Anya didn't fight the world—she embraced it.

"If you don't like the clouds," Nikk said, "we can stick to striped wallpapers and an image of a window with curtains."

"No, Nikk, I love it. Heavens are... mesmerizing."

The conversation lulled for a few minutes. Anya was seated on the edge of her bed, stealing glances at her phone. Meanwhile Nikk, despaired to speak, was looking around the room, seeking out for a hint, for anything to talk about.

His eyes soon found a fruit dish on the chest of drawers.

"I'm sure Rill has already showed you our garden."