Before we leave

"Are you still assured of your decision?" Naaek asked Anya as she entered his lab. He'd demanded every member of the future team to come get the equipment, but apparently the others had more important things to do. Even Amarillis, so eager to give Anya no time on her own, had suddenly said she'd needed to be elsewhere.

"Yes," Anya nodded, hoping the agitation twisting her guts after Daphne's exclamations at the meeting wasn't that obvious on her face.

"Well, I have no right to convince you otherwise."

Since Anya was in the room, her eyes were constantly running over the numerous papers: hundreds of folders, old books, parchments and boxes with inscriptions of every language Anya could and could not recall seeing before. How many artefacts costing totally how much money were here?.. she mused. She also noticed a few inscriptions resembling scrollwork of the map—those ones were definitely brought straight from Da'Ariya.

Classical music was quietly playing in here, lulling Anya's mind, and her anxiety soon let go of her. She shifted her gaze to the wall picturing the forest. Did it really smell like conifer in here? Anya sniffed the air. Yes, it did! Incredible.

"Your job must be interesting," she said, watching Naaek sort out the crystals on the shelf.

"Oh, yes, I'm lucky to have a job that means life to me," Naaek's mouth stretched in a proud smile. Taking a big topaz in his hand, he blew the dust off it and went on, "As you humans say, medium solvar et inter opus*, right?" His eyes sparkled as the light of the stone reflected in them. "But that's not exactly why we are here."

I don't why I'm here, Anya thought. Among the daitias. What destiny, what way of providence brought me to you?..

Leisurely crossing the room, Naaek stopped by another shelf. The first thing Anya saw there was a beautiful belt with crimson gems encrusted in it, and she found herself slightly disappointed, when Naaek's hand slid past the belt and grabbed a set of colorless clothes instead.

He handed the clothes to Anya, "These will keep you warm during nights and cool during days. The tropical weather can be capricious, so I suggest you wear the gear under your normal outfit. It's absolutely invisible and you wouldn't even feel in on your skin."

Anya stretched out her hand to take the clothes, but hesitated. The fabric seemed so thin and gauzy, she was afraid to ruin it with a mere touch.

Amusement crinkled the edges of Naaek's eyes. "It's as strong as the diamond, believe me. Works like earth layered clothing, or the same way at least, but with our technology—the nanocrystal photons."

"Have no idea what it is," Anya admitted, embarrassed for her ignorance, "but thank you."

Disconcerted, she looked over his shoulder at the other things on the shelf. There was also an object, similar to a pocket mirror, but with a round black adri in the center. "Have you brought all of those from Sutāla?"

"Of course not. The portal cannot stay open all the time," Naaek shook his head, his gray hair swaying. "We took only the most important supplies. This," he pointed at the gadget, "we manufactured after we arrived. Thankfully, there was plenty of time."

To Anya's delight, the belt she'd been so fascinated with soon was in her hands. It was woven of some sort of a smooth silky lace, shimmering in the light, its crimson stones were dark and shady inside, but once Anya's finger traced over their facets, they twinkled.

"This is called a hyper-gravitational waistband," Naaek said matter-of-factly. "When the almandine adris are activated, it protects you from external impacts."