No way back

Leir might have probably talked about his dishonorable victory for much longer, but a loud thud was heard, and the remaining of the celling fell, raising a thick plume of dust.

Everyone flung themselves in different directions, saving from the stones. As the cloud faded, Anya saw a tall, shady figure in the epicenter. He was wearing black cloak, and deep hood hid his face. He looked as though there was nothing but a clot of darkness inside the cloak.

"Who the hell is that?" Eirn asked, watching the figure moving like a shadow gliding over the floor.

Discreetly, the shadow walked across the hall and stopped next to Leir. "You have found the book at last. Good job, my prince."

Anya froze at the sound of the voice. It was him—the fifth guest, who broke into her apartment.

"Be a good girl and be quiet if you want to see the sun rise tomorrow," Tane hissed, and stood between her and the shadow, hiding behind his back.

The shadow continued, "Allow me to deliver the artifact to Kraine, my prince."

"No." Leir rose in his way. "I know my job," he said dryly. "I'll bring the book to my father, Choraun."

Choraun hissed like a snake, but didn't reply. Leir peered in his eyes, his jaws tightening like he couldn't force the words he intended to say up his throat.

After a long second of wordless conversation, Choraun flipped his hood back, Anya saw his face, an unnatural, emotionless mask. Nothing to remember. But eyes... Oh, his eyes were yellow and splintering, it seemed one glace, and his prey would be dead. How could Leir bear that gaze?..

"Very well," Choraun made a vague gesture. "Shall we take care of the public first?" It wasn't a question.

The same moment, Nagal lifted his sword and started toward Eirney. Eirn barely managed to dodge, but stumbled over the piece of a column and fell. The next blow didn't become fatal only because of Nikk, who jumped to his friend's aid and deflected Nagal's strike.

Using the moment, without the slightest regard for her own safety, Anya darted to her father, who was still senseless.

"You brought humans along, Leir." Choraun clasped his gloved hands. Sharp laugher rasped deep in his throat. "Splendid. Charna!" Like a devoted dog, Charna hunched toward Anya, but stopped, once Choraun waved his hand again. "No, wait. I've changed my mind. We'll keep them for dessert. Go play with a white-haired one."

Charna cast Anya a dark glance, and switched her attention to Daphne.

"Dad, are you alright?"

Alexander rubbed his forehead, grimacing. He climbed to his feet and looked around, his eyes still fogged. "Alive, I think." Then he saw the black figure next to Leir, and his face grew ashen. "Oh, no. We're too late."

"You know him?" Nikk appeared near them, panting.

Anya looked at her father. He nodded. "Aye. Choraun is Kraine's right hand. And if you can parley with the fomoires, it's pointless with this creature."

A line of concern lay between Nikk's eyebrows. "Maybe you know how to get out of here in one piece then?"

"The portal," Alexander leveled at the arch on the wall. "It should still be working."

"Open the portal then, I'll retrieve the book!"

The three of them moved across the hall, the clasping of steel against steel accompanied them.

Suddenly, Nagal stood in their way, his eyes wild.

"Even if we wanted to, I couldn't let you go, daitya," Nagal barked.