Show time

"...Janeiro?" she faltered, overcome by a sense of weightlessness.

The morning sun and the glowing snows disappeared—the stars were now shimmering high up above the head. The daitias and Anya stood in the middle of an empty street, enveloped in the wretched night's dark.

A tipsy man shambled along the road, humming a cheerful tune. The moment he saw people materialized from thin air, he stumbled backward, gawking at them. Ghosts! his eyes read. He shrieked, crossing himself, and darted away into the side street.

"One less drinker on Earth," Rill giggled, watching him blend in with the shadows.

"We are in Rio de Janeiro," Daphne flicked her annoyed eyes to Anya, "because none of us has ever been to Peru before. And we need to keep moving if we want to get there at all." Without waiting for anyone, she whirled around, and started down the street. Tamed into high ponytail, her long hair blazed in the moonlight like an icy silk.

Eirney snorted. "In order to transpassage to a particular place," he turned to Anya, "you need to know precisely what that place looks like. Otherwise, the slightest inaccuracy, and you'd be thrown to Ariy knows what place and time."

Anya nodded without listening. It'll be a nightmare, she thought. I either won't survive this journey or punch Daphne sooner or later. Or I won't survive, because I punch her.

"Wait a second," Eirn's eyes narrowed into two slits as some brilliant idea lurked into his mind. "Anya, have you ever been to Peru before?"

Unintentionally, Anya let out a brisk laugh, and stared at him, saving her dream of pummeling Daphne for another time. "No, why would you ask? Have you erased my memory before?"

The question was mere a joke, but Eirney took it seriously. "No, we could not have done that," his eyebrows drew together, so close they almost met, "because—" He flinched as Nikk's hand landed on his shoulder.

"Less talking, more working, right? Let's go, or Daph will actually leave without us."

"Ah, she can," Rill's sour voice added.

A frown darkened Nikk's features, but he said nothing. And in silence, they followed Daphne, whose slender silhouette had almost vanished into the gloom.

Anya walked, stealing glances at Nikk, quelling her curiosity. Why would he cut Eirn off? Are they hiding something from me? Something bad? Or..?

Eventually, it ceased to matter. The air was cool and gentle against Anya's skin, soothing, rocking her thoughts to sleep.

The summer night in Rio was all magic and beauty. The moon hung over the velvet sky, illuminating the pavement. The stillness embraced the world, and even the faint music heard from somewhere in the distance didn't disturb the perfection of the...

...the moment.

The airport building came into view, tearing the harmony apart. Anxious tourists, hustling and shouting, dragging along their large bags, getting in and out of cars. The chaos sobered Anya momentously. Once again, she sensed disjoined worries itching at the back of her mind, restlessly, relentlessly.

Entering the international terminal, Daphne and Nikk strode toward the check-in desk. Anya was about to go after them, but Rill stopped her, gripping her by the hand.

"That's not how it works for us here," she said, a jocular hint in her voice.

Anya raised her eyebrows, looking at the crimson-haired daitian. "What do you mean?"

"We can't simply stroll past the security and get on plane. Not with the adris and weapons in our bags."

"How then?"

Amarillis grinned. "You'll see."

Grunting beside them, Eirn searched his pockets, and soon fetched out a small device. At first, Anya thought it was just a square cell phone, but then she saw a dozen of tiny crystals framing the screen.

Intrigued, Anya shifted her eyes back to Nikk and Daphne, it took her a few moments to find the two graceful figures among the people clustering around the desk. They observed the crowd for a while, then Nikk's gaze traveled to Eirney, he gave a small nod.

"Show time." A smirk spread across Eirn's face. He pressed a button on his gadget, and the lights in the entire airport terminal died out.

Anya froze, disoriented. The reality turned black before her eyes, losing shapes and colors and meanings in the blink of an eye.

The entire hall grew quiet. Apparently, other people were caught off guard as well.

"What's going on?" Anya whispered in the direction where Rill was.

"Just wait for it," Rill murmured in reply.

Wait for it.

One.

Two.

Three. Another button click.

The light bulbs flickered on, brightening the hall once again. Muttering and growling, the crowd returned to its businesslike bustling state.

Anya scanned the masses, looking for Nikk and Daphne, but they were gone. What the hell?

A minute later, she finally found them. Only when they wanted to be found, she realized. Nikk emerged from the throng, toying with something in his hand. Daphne was right behind him, a sly spark in her eyes.

"It was easier than melting a wall in the AmaraVrāti castle," Nikk demonstrated a plastic keycard.

"But not less outlaw," Eirn sneered.

"Tell me you don't enjoy it."

"No, I don't. Humans are too easy to fool."

Nikk's lips quirked. "That's why you can never win that online game of yours? What is it? Call of..."

"...Aagh."

Anya didn't listen to Nikk and Eirn squabbling as all of them made their way to the 'staff only' door, as Nikk swiped the keycard, and as they sneaked past the security, and came into the waiting hall unnoticed by anyone.

Thank you for reading, guys! You can't imagine how happy I am every time I see you read and vote and comment ❤ I'm on vacation now, so this chapter is pretty short (comparing to the others at least), and I'm not fully satisfied with it

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Thank you for reading, guys! You can't imagine how happy I am every time I see you read and vote and comment ❤ I'm on vacation now, so this chapter is pretty short (comparing to the others at least), and I'm not fully satisfied with it. Probably, I'll rewrite it once back home... Anyway, I'd love to hear what you think of it. Ideas and suggestions are always welcome

Book of Fates ✔जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें