Magic

It's nothing like in a dream, Anya thought, walking along the dank hallway of the temple. The wind whistled instead of the harp music now, and water tickled down the walls, crashing against the floor with a ringing sound of ire.

Anya walked—or skulked—along with the daitias, who looked at every corner, awaiting danger. The pale crystal lights were the only ones brightening the gloomy passages.

"I can't imagine this place once was as exalted as you say," Eirn groused.

"On the contrary, it's easy to imagine," Rill said. "This place looks exactly like a lost palace of hope. All you need is close your eyes and—"

"And bump your head in some rock," Daph snarled.

The farther they went the more nervous they grew. The walls of the temple showed not a crack, yet they once stumbled across a hall which was ruined as though after an explosion. Anya merely managed to slip through the stone pieces without being chopped into pieces herself.

Could someone do it on purpose? she pondered. If so, then who? It seemed the fallen celling was demolished quite recently. Were the wanderers being watched?

Now Anya felt like every tunnel could break and bury her alive any second. The worst feeling in the world.

"What happens when you find the book?" she asked, striving to shove her disturbing thoughts away.

Daph made a faint shrug. "Return back to Sutala, kill some fomoires, live happily ever after." The last four words she said so stiffly Anya caught herself realizing Daphne didn't believe it herself.

"And what about me? You will erase my memory of you? Will forget all of you forever?"

Daph's face turned grim for some reason. She glanced at Nikk, concerned.

Nikk looked at his sister in return and... laughed. "There's a... funny complication here, Anya," he said sucking on his lip. "We lied about that a little."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, we can't make you forget things. No one can. We can only block the part of your brain that holds us," Nikk said with stupid, apologetic smile. "But sooner or later, something will trigger it, and the memories flood your mind like a hurricane."

Anya goggled at him, "So all the choice: go home without remembering or stay in Kelas—was just an illusion? A lie?!"

"You're not mad, are you?"

"I'm furious!"

I was trembling, afraid to lose all this for nothing! I've been scared to forget Nikk and Rill and... everyone! Oh no... Realization send a chill down Anya's spine. I'd better forget than stay here alone, when they return to Da'Ariya forever! No, no, no...

Suddenly, something glimmered under Anya's boots. She glanced down at her feet and saw a small silver broche.

"Is everything okay?" Rill asked as Anya slowed down.

"Yes, just... laces," Anya nodded at her boot idly. "Go, I'll catch up in a minute."

Rill nodded and left. As the others walked further, too, Anya grasped the jewelry and brushed the dirt away. It was a real piece of art—delicate, beautiful broche of the shape of a leaf.

"Triggers my memory, huh?" Anya amused, watching the daitias strode. "And what if something triggers my memory before you disappear through your shining dimensional door?.."

Determined, she pinned the broche on the inside of her top and hurried after her companions.

*

In a dream, it took Anya and Nikk mere minutes to reach the main hall of Paititi where the book was, but now they spent the better part of an hour, and still were far.