Fight Til The End

First off, I want to say how EXCITED I AM to see that I have readers in GHANA AND NIGERIA!!!! I am a fellow Ghanian so knowing that people from my motherland and my fellow neighbors are reading this really means a lot to me.

And for everyone who isn't from Canada or is, Comment right here. Let me know where you're reading my book from! I would love to see how far my book is reaching!!

Anyways, Back to the story.

Alessandra's POV

I woke up to another beautiful sunny morning beaming through my small size window. The little sun I manage to receive through my airtight shut window always brought a smile to my face.

Sun meant peace. Sun meant summer fun. Sun meant happiness.

"Alessandra, Are you up? Breakfast is ready dear." My mother's voice beamed through the speaker.

13 seconds. It was only 13 seconds of the blissful gift of forgetness. For those short sweet moments, I forgot I was trapped upstairs. I forgot my life has been signed away to a man that I don't love let alone know. I forgot that in a few months that I was going to be stripped away from my family and friends forever.

Those 13 seconds were bittersweet.

...

"Sweetie, there you are! I was worried that you didn't hear my voice. What took you so long?" My mother sighed as she saw me walk down the staircase.

"Sorry mother, it was a rough morning."

"How long did it last?" Roberto wondered softly.

"13 seconds."

He was the only person I told about my morning depression. Every time I had a rough morning he knew that my usual bubbly personality was dying quickly. So he would ask me how many seconds it took my depression to catch up with me and I would give him an answer.

There is no use in lying. I've been such a happy person for a long time even after the news broke. Now...it's a struggle for me to fake a smile.

I ate in silence. My mother continued conversation with the rest of the family; to keep the mood light. That was how she copes. She talks as if everything is normal when she knows our lives are ticking away.

A sudden ring woke me from my trance. I turned to see my guard Samuel answering his phone.

It was odd. Since he's been here, I've never heard his phone ring...I never seen him on his phone to be honest.

From the expression on his face I knew it was bad news. The pit in my stomach churned violently. I grabbed Mama's hand for reassurance.

"What...sir....no you can't do this. No this isn't how it was supposed to go!" Samuel yelled before running out of the house.

"Baby everything is going to be fine. We don't know if it's about you." My Mom cooed in my ear.

"No offence but it's always about her." Roberto snarked.

I couldn't breathe. My heart was travelling a million beats a second. Swear poured from my forehead and I knew the tears were next.

What could Samuel be talking about? I knew it was about me...it would be naive of me to think otherwise. Over the years I never caused problems. I never tried to run away even though I complemented over that idea many times.

Could it be that they're sick of me and this stupid outdated fascist pact? Or maybe my family has done something wrong and broke one of their ridiculous rules? I wanted to know....

No I needed to know.

Samuel eventually came back in, head hung and shoulders slugged over. He had the face of defeat. As soon as his big brown eyes met mine I felt the failure he had weighing in his heart.

Oh no,

I didn't have to say the words. No one said any words but in everyone's heart we knew. We knew exactly what the conversation was about.This day wasn't suppose to come for months. I marked that day as the saddest day in my life.

I guess I'm changing that day to today.

"I'm sorry Alessandra...I tried. I really tried."

"How much time do I have?" I spoke softly as a single tear escaped my eyes.

"An hour...two tops. He was so demanding. He wasn't suppose to do this!" Samuel slammed his fist in the wall.

I knew Samuel cared for me like a daughter. He was old fashioned but never condoned this pact. He thought it was stupid but he had to follow orders. He had a family to feed. So be sucked up his beliefs to do his job. I always admired that although he was doing a job, he treated me like a human being.

I got up from my seat slowly as I felt the world slipped from with under me. Still holding my mothers hand I walked up the stairs, my entire family including Samuel followed.

They sat in my room as I packed my bags. No words were spoken. Everyone sat in different corners of the room, head in hands as I packed my life into tiny black duffle bags.

Once I was done I sat on my bed and looked out to the tiny window by my bed.

Sun meant happiness but as I looked out al I felt was emptiness. I felt the cold harsh air. I felt fragile and weak.

I felt defeated.

I was suppose to fight. I was a fighter. I shouldn't let this man take me willingly. I needed to fight....but I couldn't. The thought of fighting drained me. I wouldn't win and my family will suffer in the process.

He won and I didn't even get the chance to enter the race.

"No...no....NO! We need to fight this! He is breaking all the rules! We have 8 months left! What does he think he's doing!" A roar sprang from my fathers gentle lips. He was a gentle soul. Rarely ever does he get mad.

"You don't think I've tried?!" This isn't the old boss. He was reasonable. He knew the rules. A new leader has taken place. Her fiancé to be. A real class A jackass."

"So we fight. We are not letting her go without a fight." My brother spoke.

"No fight. We knew this day would come. Whether it's now or later it's coming. There's nothing to be done."

"Yes there is. There has to be some flaw in the pact. Your father and I have been searching. We know faithfulness is key. If one is considered unfaithful then the contract is breach. The cheater pays the price, the cheated gets out free. This is our best hope to catch him and free you"

"So that's what we'll do. We will do whatever it takes to catch Dominic cheating."